General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Ambivalences

Post by Tornado »

Yes, but Jacob also says, when speaking about Claire, that why wouldn't she choose Quil? It will be as though he's designed for her alone. So there does seem to be a lot of ease in a relationship with someone who has imprinted on you (as SM writes in Emily's backstory in the guide), and Renesmee already seems to view Jake possessively. I can't imagine her giving Nahuel too much thought ... unless SM decides it would make a good plotline for a future book!
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Same here, Tornado. SM doesn't come right out and say it in her Guide, but Emily's story (and Nessie's possessiveness of Jacob) indicates that there is some kind of draw towards the imprinter that goes beyond merely responding to their devotion. I think logically there had to be, otherwise you would have imprinters being rejected and living their lives in misery.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
mandibear
Settled in Forks

Post by mandibear »

Good points, ladies. It was just intriguing for me to consider. Nessie seems to be a little confused about how she fits in. I just wondered if Nahuel, being like her, would be a draw for her. While she matches chromosomally with Jacob, what would a child of theirs be like? Human, vampire, and werewolf? Or could they never have children once she reaches maturity because she would then never change? You could go a lot of interesting ways with that. I also see some similarities between Bella's story and Renesmee's future insofar as Jacob being Nessie's "Edward" and Nahuel being Nessie's "Jacob".
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I think, although she stops ageing when she's an adult, that her body is still capable of change. It's not quite the same as the vampire body, after all. She will still sleep, and have a functioning circulatory system. One assumes she will also be able to bear children because of all these human elements to her nature. Also, since I believe that imprinting is to create strong wolves, there's no doubt in my mind that she will be able to bear Jacob children. But they will certainly be interesting kids! Maybe one of them will marry Nahuel.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

corona wrote:Same here, Tornado. SM doesn't come right out and say it in her Guide, but Emily's story (and Nessie's possessiveness of Jacob) indicates that there is some kind of draw towards the imprinter that goes beyond merely responding to their devotion. I think logically there had to be, otherwise you would have imprinters being rejected and living their lives in misery.
It's an interesting premise, to say the least. It also does back up SM's, and by extention Tornado's theories regarding Bella's genetic draw to Jacob even before she became pregnant with Ness, as well as Sam's draw to Leah before finding Emily. I never really gave much credence to the idea that it was Ness causing Bella's need to have Jacob around. However, I'm always looking for a better explanation for Bella's behavior during her pregnancy than my fallback, which is that vampiric pregnancy hormones are off the charts and vampiric pregnancy brain causes an automatic 50 point drop in your IQ.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

There's no doubt in my mind that there was definitely a draw to Jacob for Bella once Nessie was conceived. Even she notes the absence of the draw to Jacob after Nessie is born (so does he). The only question in my mind is whether or not it had anything to do with Bella's behaviour prior to conception.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Well, it does stand to reason that if the theory holds that wolves are attracted at a genetic level to their imprints, thus drawn to their imprints families, than Jacob could have been genetically drawn to Bella, given that she is half of that perfect genetic makeup that would be come his imprint. In a way, there's some logic to it. Being drawn on a genetic level to spend time with a certain family group that all share DNA with your imprint certainly ups the odds of finding your 1 in 7 billion match. I do rather wish that it might have allowed Jacob to be slightly more cordial to the other half of her genetic make-up, though.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, the fact that he wasn't cordial, especially to such a degree, stands against the gene attraction argument, although the prejudices he had been raised with, not to mention common jealousy, can be difficult obstacles to overcome.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I'm just popping in to let you know that the site will undergo maintenance this weekend, sometime early Saturday morning EST(and I mean EARLY!) It should be fairly painless and quick, but if you come on and we are not showing up, please give it a few minutes and try again.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Jazz Girl wrote:
corona wrote:Same here, Tornado. SM doesn't come right out and say it in her Guide, but Emily's story (and Nessie's possessiveness of Jacob) indicates that there is some kind of draw towards the imprinter that goes beyond merely responding to their devotion. I think logically there had to be, otherwise you would have imprinters being rejected and living their lives in misery.
It's an interesting premise, to say the least. It also does back up SM's, and by extention Tornado's theories regarding Bella's genetic draw to Jacob even before she became pregnant with Ness, as well as Sam's draw to Leah before finding Emily. I never really gave much credence to the idea that it was Ness causing Bella's need to have Jacob around. However, I'm always looking for a better explanation for Bella's behavior during her pregnancy than my fallback, which is that vampiric pregnancy hormones are off the charts and vampiric pregnancy brain causes an automatic 50 point drop in your IQ.
Oooh, I never said it was a genetic draw.

I think it's more like a Jessica Rabbit "I'm just drawn that way" kind of draw.

In other words, pure Stephenie. I think Emily's story in the IG and Nessie's possessivenes of Jacob in BD is meant to show that there is something being reciprocated from the imprintee to the imprinter. That is meant to legitimize what is happening. I can buy that. But exactly what is happening is never explained.

I can't think of a single, coherent theory of imprinting that explains everything.

I wish I could help with Bella's pregnancy IQ drop, but I've got nothing for you. I take it at face value that Jacob and Bella were drawn to each other due to Nessie. I don't understand it, though. The only explanation I can come up with isn't within the story, it is with SM. She wanted to increase the drama, and then absolve them both of their behavior.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”