Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Movie Inconsistencies?

Post by Asheleyo »

di0772 wrote:Everyone keeps saying they "HAD TO CONDENSE IT TO MAKE IT FIT" - only because Summit needed it to be less than 2hrs to get bums on seats in the theatres.
Okay some scenes from the book could be left out. I understand that but they left out the story and the scenes that carry it. It's meant to be a love story but I'm sorry can anyone please tell where the love story went?
The ADDED scenes should not have been there. If they used the scenes out of the book it would have been way better.
I don't see how condensing has anything to do with bad directing. No one can claim that the need to cut out scenes to keep the movie short justifies changes to the very core of what the story is about. Nothing felt old fashioned or even intimidating about the Cullens. They just seemed pale and somewhat too old to be in high school, but otherwise they came off too much as normal humans. Billy was made corny, Bella didn't seem maternal and caring for Charlie, Edward (although portraying mostly the correct emotions) wasn't trying to be protective and secretive at all, Emmett wasn't a joking carefree guy, so on and so forth...
di0772 wrote:Just about everything in the movie changed. They might as well have not based it on the book. They didn't follow the storyline, they didn't really keep the characters dressed the same, even the houses were not as described in the book. I was expecting the Cullen house to be this old white 3 story house instead it was a modern wooden house that looked like it was just built. And Edwards car, I expected it to be more flashy. It was meant to stand out but it blended in.

And the dialogue, why did they change it? I mean it was all over the place. Great lines at the end of the book were at the beginning of the movie and said by the wrong characters. Please writers, is it that hard to give the line to the right character.

Also did anyone notice at the prom Jacob seemed to know that Edward was a vampire? It was just the look but still...
I really can't understand why they made Edward's car that horrific hatchback thing. That's not cool at all. He's got a Vanquish, for crying out loud! He's not gonna drive around in a hatchback! And Edward himself is too aggressive with Bella. Someone said they liked when he yelled at her for stumbling in the made-up greenhouse scene. But I think it's completely against his nature. At that point, he should be chuckling to himself and stretching his hand halfway out to catch her, then stopping because he knows he shouldn't let himself touch her. Not yelling at her.

I felt like they were maybe trying to hint at further problems between Jacob and Edward with that look. I was hoping that they weren't going to jump the gun and try and say Jacob was a wolf already. I would have been pissed.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Asheleyo wrote: I felt like they were maybe trying to hint at further problems between Jacob and Edward with that look. I was hoping that they weren't going to jump the gun and try and say Jacob was a wolf already. I would have been pissed.
They might as well have said it...."I leave you alone for two minutes and the wolves descend"......Some strong hinting right there :roll:
As for the look...Edward does snarl when Jacob arrives at the prom. And Jacob does stare with wide eyes at Edward when he says he'll take her. So there clearly was some animosity from Edward's side, since Edward knows about Billy and the warnings. Jacob still doesn't believe the story. But still...I think the look was okay. Jacob was Edward's enemy, even if he didn't know it himself yet.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Asheleyo

Post by Asheleyo »

Dovrebanen wrote:
Asheleyo wrote: I felt like they were maybe trying to hint at further problems between Jacob and Edward with that look. I was hoping that they weren't going to jump the gun and try and say Jacob was a wolf already. I would have been pissed.
They might as well have said it...."I leave you alone for two minutes and the wolves descend"......Some strong hinting right there :roll:
As for the look...Edward does snarl when Jacob arrives at the prom. And Jacob does stare with wide eyes at Edward when he says he'll take her. So there clearly was some animosity from Edward's side, since Edward knows about Billy and the warnings. Jacob still doesn't believe the story. But still...I think the look was okay. Jacob was Edward's enemy, even if he didn't know it himself yet.
I thought the look was ok. I mean, Jacob did want Bella. He may have just made it a little too hateful. And the way I write off what Edward says is because Jacob did tell Bella that the Quiluetes are supposedly descended from wolves and Bella knows that Edward has a long past with the tribe, so surely he knows of the legend.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
MyAddiction
Settled in Forks

Post by MyAddiction »

spicey16 wrote:I am not saying he can silence it but that he can not hear it.. he doesnt have to register everything going on in his head or her would have had to register james and victoria... in eclipse that was just him, jacob, bella and seth.. so i'm sure it would be harder to ignore someone if there arent many other distractions. and i'm sure jacob was screaming his thoughts at Edward, and a little bit of edward wanted to know what jacob was thinking to make sure he didnt try anything lol but in a crowded room (aka prom) he could easily miss something. and you said your self that he choose to hear james so that means he can "not hear" everything if he tries hard enough
Hey everybody! I don't think that I've posted anything but I just wanted to address this. In the end of New Moon, Edward was telling Bella that when they were at the baseball field, he didn't see the love connection between James and Victoria because it was overshadowed by her cockiness. This shows that he was reading her mind. I'm sure he was reading all of their minds. Like said many times already, vampires can focus on more than one thing so I am certain that he could read all three of their minds at the same time... This might have already been addressed and I'm may be making a fool of myself, but I just felt the need to let it out.
theotherStephanie
Wandering Through Town
Location: Really in Washington, sitting under a Madrone tree waiting for Stephenie to finish Midnight Sun

Post by theotherStephanie »

I haven't read through all the pages of this thread, only the first 16, so I don't know if this as been brought up yet. So much of what's been stated so far is spot on as far as inconsistencies! The one line in the movie that jumped out at me the most was from Jasper, after the baseball confrontation with the nomads, the warning visit by Laurent, when all the Cullens and Bella enter the garage to get ready to leave. As they're all coming into the garage, it sounds like Jasper says, "I've had to fight her kind before, not easy to kill." That just still makes me go, what the heck is that supposed to mean [in the context of the movie]? All the focus is on James and there is nothing that would indicate to a viewer why Jasper would make that statement about Victoria. Perhaps I'm mishearing it, but it sounds like that consistently to me. Notwithstanding all of us who have the background from the book know what's coming in NM and Eclipse....
Carlisle's medical transcriptionist
Edward's piano student
Esme's historic restoration research assistant
Alice's wardrobe consultant
Who knew cold hands could be so HOT??!!
Asheleyo

Post by Asheleyo »

I thought he said "I've had to fight our kind before." As in referring to vampires in general. Though I still didn't like that line. It seemed too forced and out of place. And Emmett following up with something like "But it can be done." I felt like that should have been another part of Jasper's line since he's the one with all the experience. Carlisle's response was the only thing that made sense: "Still, I don't like to think of destroying any creature." Or something like that. But they hadn't actually said anything about the only option being to take James out instead of just tricking up, so all those lines felt out of place.

wig4usc
Settled in Forks

Post by wig4usc »

OK, so I've now watched the movie enough, and reread Twilight again, that I think I get where and why there are some inconsistencies. Actually, I recently read about what the screenplay was like before Summit got it from MTV. I know I appreciate now how it came out....it could have been way, way worse if Catherine and Summit hadn't gained control, seriously!

But, main thing that gets me is that there's not a lot of caring and affection between Edward and Bella, at least not enough for me. When she left the garage, Edward didn't even kiss her. Edward had said something about having to kill James in the jeep ride back from the baseball game. I didn't think Carlisle's comments were out of context.

I don't like Victoria hanging out at prom, I mean all the other Cullen siblings were on the dance floor....but, that's a movie thing for New Moon, I get it. More tenderness between the two would have gone a long way for me...and more about Alice and Bella, you hardly got that they were friends.

Again, I don't think there was a lot of time to pull together the screen adaptation before they started filming, so I'm sure that due to those issues and our feedback, they're paying especially close attention to the upcoming movies!
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

wig4usc wrote: More tenderness between the two would have gone a long way for me...and more about Alice and Bella, you hardly got that they were friends.
I totally agree with this. In New Moon Bella is almost as crushed over loosing Alice is she is over Edward. She loves Alice. And in Twilight we hardly see them together at all. We don't see much of them in Phoenix, where in the book it is actually Alice telling Bella how you become a vampire. And Alice does that because she is Bella's friend and thinks she has a right now to know. We also don't hear anything about Alice taking care of Bella after the incident with James, helping her in the shower..And Alice also bonding with Charlie.

I also missed more affection between Bella and Edward. I missed the small tender moments in the meadow, where they are just two people falling in love and revealing their inner secrets to each other. It's about accepting the other one for what they are. I know in the movie Bella says: "It doesn't matter" or something like that. But you can't tell how strongly she really means that.
I also missed Edward's "20 questions". Just the two of them getting to know each other.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Dovrebanen wrote:I know in the movie Bella says: "It doesn't matter" or something like that. But you can't tell how strongly she really means that.
That part actually ticked me off, after I read the book and saw the movie for the second time.

I mean, the guy just confessed to wanting to kill you, and you say "it doesn't matter" with a smile on your face like that's the best thing you've ever heard? Going by the movie itself, that was rather ludicrous.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

ringswraith wrote:
Dovrebanen wrote:I know in the movie Bella says: "It doesn't matter" or something like that. But you can't tell how strongly she really means that.
That part actually ticked me off, after I read the book and saw the movie for the second time.

I mean, the guy just confessed to wanting to kill you, and you say "it doesn't matter" with a smile on your face like that's the best thing you've ever heard? Going by the movie itself, that was rather ludicrous.
That's true. It's what you get when you rush a story like that. When Bella told Edward that it didn't matter what he was (in the book), it was after a long process. She already knew that he was "something", and upon learning that he was a vampire, she was forced to make a decision. Should she walk away? Could she? And the process led her to realize that it was impossible for her to walk away from him. And even more so after their confessions in the meadow.
We didn't get to see any of that in the movie. It was him talking about killing her, and the brand of heroin. And then it was the lion and the lamb. It just made Bella seem a bit naive, when we didn't know the depth of her feelings for Edward.
So that is one of my biggest concerns about Twilight. There was a lack of character development, and a lack of development of all the essential relationships.