Cullen Beliefs

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Cocoa

Cullen Beliefs

Post by Cocoa »

What religion or belief system do each of the Cullens believe in? What religion were they in mortality and how did that effect their beliefs in immortality?
porschejacker XD
Wandering Through Town

Re: Cullen Beliefs

Post by porschejacker XD »

Cocoa wrote:What religion or belief system do each of the Cullens believe in? What religion were they in mortality and how did that effect their beliefs in immortality?
I think Carlisle was a catholic, and Edward was Christian too.
Emmett, I reckon followed Emmettism, and Rosalie didnt care much.
I dunno why, but I always imagined Alice as like a zen religion kind of girl.

Carlisle believes in an afterlife, and Edward does subconsciously too.
Me and my friends keep finding new ways to hurt ourselves so we can check out whether or not our doctor sparkles in the sunlight...
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

porschejacker XD wrote:
Cocoa wrote:What religion or belief system do each of the Cullens believe in? What religion were they in mortality and how did that effect their beliefs in immortality?
I think Carlisle was a catholic, and Edward was Christian too.
Emmett, I reckon followed Emmettism, and Rosalie didnt care much.
I dunno why, but I always imagined Alice as like a zen religion kind of girl.

Carlisle believes in an afterlife, and Edward does subconsciously too.

Emmettism- bahaha that was awesome!
i agree though, Carlisle was definitely Catholic...i'm not sure in which book he mentions his family following Catholicism, but it's in there
Rosalie doesn't seem like the type of person who would care either, too involved in herself i guess.

But i think Jasper might've been Catholic too for some reason....then again Catholicism was really popular during each of the Cullen's lifetime...so who knows..
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Actually, Carlisle was Angelican before becoming a vampire. If you remember, he was born in the 1600's during Cromwell's rule--Cromwell the crazy Puritan. Catholics were not tolerated at all during this time in England. Also, remember how Carlisle's father was a preacher? Well, Catholic priests practice celibacy, which means Carlisle would not have happened or be an illigitament child who was parentless.
Although the whole rest of them were probably some form of Christianity. Back in the day you went to church or else you were gossiped about. But if they really were devoted to that religion...eh, probably not.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

debussygirl wrote:Actually, Carlisle was Angelican before becoming a vampire. If you remember, he was born in the 1600's during Cromwell's rule--Cromwell the crazy Puritan. Catholics were not tolerated at all during this time in England. Also, remember how Carlisle's father was a preacher? Well, Catholic priests practice celibacy, which means Carlisle would not have happened or be an illigitament child who was parentless.
Although the whole rest of them were probably some form of Christianity. Back in the day you went to church or else you were gossiped about. But if they really were devoted to that religion...eh, probably not.

Agreed.
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
museicalking
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by museicalking »

mlola619 wrote:
debussygirl wrote:Actually, Carlisle was Angelican before becoming a vampire. If you remember, he was born in the 1600's during Cromwell's rule--Cromwell the crazy Puritan. Catholics were not tolerated at all during this time in England. Also, remember how Carlisle's father was a preacher? Well, Catholic priests practice celibacy, which means Carlisle would not have happened or be an illigitament child who was parentless.

Agreed.

agreed again.
Team Emmett- EDC, Inc. Emmett Demolition Crew.
Team Rosalie- Every Rose has its Thorns
Team Alice- Seeing the Future Since 1901
<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3
AlainaTwilight
Learning to Love Green

Post by AlainaTwilight »

museicalking wrote:
mlola619 wrote:

Agreed.

agreed again.

Agreed...that makes the most sense, and i do remember Carlisle's story mentioning something about Cromwell. :)

As far as everyone else, Edward is either Christan or Catholic (my opinion), Rosalie I'm not sure about, I totally agree about the Emmettism thing, :) and for Jasper and Alice I'm not sure, its hard to figure out.
princess_sparkle
Settled in Forks

Post by princess_sparkle »

I always assumed Alice (or Alice's family at least) to be Christian, because I assumed that to be the reason they were so against Alice's premonitions and hence put her in the asylum. As for the others, I agree that Carlisle would be Anglican and I think most of the others would have been Christian to some level. I'm sure Rosalie's family would have gone to church as they were social climbers and they would be gossiped negatively about a lot for not attending, which they would not want. Whether Rosalie actually cared though... no-one knows.
Doodle
Learning to Love Green

Post by Doodle »

In the first chapter of Midnight Sun with Edward describing school as his own purgatory makes me think of Edward as Catholic, as the concept of purgatory is unique to them I believe.
"because days come and go, but my feelings for you are forever"
princess_sparkle
Settled in Forks

Post by princess_sparkle »

Doodle wrote:In the first chapter of Midnight Sun with Edward describing school as his own purgatory makes me think of Edward as Catholic, as the concept of purgatory is unique to them I believe.
That's a good point actually... although it could just be an expression. Also Edward has all the ideas about Bella's virtue and heaven, though those are common among many religions and denominations.