Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Stephenie Meyer: Producer

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Not too thrilled that SM is one of the co-producers because there are changes I think that need to be made that won't be done with her having even more control over the movies (Edward raising his daughter instead of passing it off onto Jacob, Jake not imprinting on Renesmee [doesn't matter how you want to defend that, it's still wrong in my book. She's a flipping baby, and he'll still be about 20 yrs her senior and watched her grow up], an action sequence when the Volturi comes to Forks).

I honestly had hopes that the Isle Esme and Bella's first night as a vampire [if the latter is included] would be more than a fade-to-black sequence that happens in movies back in the thirties and forties. With Stephenie on as a producer, even the tiniest flashes of skin while Bella and Edward are acting like a normal married couple in the bedroom seems very slim now. Chances are that it will show Bella walking out to the water, fade to black, and pick up the next morning with the sun shining into the bedroom, with feathers everywhere.

From the interviews I've seen for the first too movies, the impression I got was that Stephenie and Summit & co. worked closely together to create the movies, so I honestly don't see the need for her to be on as a producer other than wanting a percentage of the sales from it and to have even more control over how the movie(s) are made.

DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

Edwards Ragazza wrote:However like some of you addressed the whole Isle Esme scene I don't want it to fade to black either. I am sorry but they can give us a visual of everything and make it classy,tender and romantic all wrapped up in one. If they could do it on prime time tv and show then they can do it on the pg13 movie. So my fingers are crossed and praying to SM and Summit gods above!
Exactly how I feel. Nothing inappropriate at all, but don't fade to black. It's not like the audience isn't mature enough to handle this.

Rebecca Cullen--I agree with a lot of your points, especially Jacob imprinting on Renesmee. (Hello, what about Leah?? Having him imprint on Bella's daughter is such a cop-out, and it's just so weird.) I also agree with how Edward didn't really act like much of a father. However, I don't think it would make a difference if Stephenie wasn't co-producing this. She still has a say in what happens, and they wouldn't leave out the part where Jacob imprints on Renesmee anyways.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
TammyAZ
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by TammyAZ »

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems that suddenly everyone who was insisting that the film makers stay true to the books now want them to change everything?? Jacob imprint on Leah?? Really?? Action sequence instead of a stand off?

People need to make up their minds....either you want the movies to reflect the books or you don't. I know there are action sequences and such added to the first 3 that were implied rather than written in the books, but to have Jake imprint on someone completely different and some of the other suggestions are things that change entire plots from the book!

You can't have it both ways here...either you want Stephenies version of BD as it's written, or what YOU think it should be and I'm sure when it's all said and done, it will be her work on the screen and not any of ours.

"You will always be the most beautiful thing in my world" ~~Edward Cullen
Banner by me :)
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

TammyAZ wrote: People need to make up their minds....either you want the movies to reflect the books or you don't. I know there are action sequences and such added to the first 3 that were implied rather than written in the books, but to have Jake imprint on someone completely different and some of the other suggestions are things that change entire plots from the book!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but movies based on books are considered an adaptation right? They can stay as true as they can to the books while making the necessary changes that work for the big screen.

Jacob imprinting - don't make him imprint on someone else, just make no mention of him imprinting on a newborn baby. Find another reason why he sticks around the vampires because like I said, it's wrong in my book and it's not something I want seen on the big screen. She a baby, and he's old enough to be her father. He loves Bella, so make him wanting to protect her daughter reason enough for him to stay.

And wanting Edward to actually be seen raising his child? How exactly is that wrong? I'd much rather see Edward raise his child than be the sperm donor and Bella's sex toy, while Jacob plays house with Bella and Edward's daughter, and Bella.

Volturi visiting Forks - really? Standing around talking when both sides have vampires with special talents? There's all this build up to the Volturi visiting Forks, and the fact that they practically sit around talking bores me. Did in the book, and likely to do so on the big screen.

Yes, the Twilight saga is at its core a romance novel, but all the romance movies I've seen have had some sort of climax to them and then each party goes off to lick their wounds.

The first three books in the HP series didn't have much action that translated well onto the big screen, but there was enough that the writer could take creative license on the work to adapt it to the big screen. That is what the scriptwriter does, he or she takes the written work and translates it to what works best for the movie.

Twilight didn't translate to film as well as I thought it should, and I think that primarily has to do with the writer's strike. Rosenberg couldn't make any changes to the script, and Catherine didn't (and if she did, they weren't that good. The only change I'm really aware that was done was at the end). With New Moon, the adaptation was better because Rosenberg could make the changes, and it helped that Weitz had the skills to make any changes while Rosenberg was working on other projects. Haven't seen Eclipse yet, but from the trailers, it's looking pretty good.

Stephenie screwed up once with writing Breaking Dawn the way she did after the time line changed, IMO, and if she screws up the adaptation...well, I'll have a hard time swallowing anything else she writes.
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. The books were written from Bella's perspective, except for the second part of Breaking Dawn, written from Jacob's. I think all of us who have read the partial draft of Midnight Sun realize that there's a lot of story that we didn't get to see in the original book. And even though I think with a bigger budget Twilight could have been better, they did attempt to give us the different perspectives as you would expect to be able to let the movie flow. Chris was able to stick more closely with the book for New Moon because the majority of that story is about Bella and her coping with the loss. Eclipse, from what I've seen in the trailer, is going to do the same or better than Twilight with showing other parts of the story going on at the same time. They have to show the film audience what's going on other than what Bella sees or experiences or the movie would not flow.
I think that Summit, Stephanie, and Melissa all realize there are things with Breaking Dawn that are going to be very difficult to bring to film. But they give a lot of information with flashbacks and Bella narrating that if they stick close enough to the story in Eclipse to explain the imprinting, they shouldn't have a problem with it in Breaking Dawn.
Personally, I don't think the imprinting thing is an issue. It's proven natural and normal in real life and though Stephanie used it in an unusual way, it doesn't make it a bad thing. We are talking about "mythical", "magical" creatures after all.

I'm not sure what is meant about Edward not raising Renesmee and passing her off to Jacob. Since Breaking Dawn is written from Bella's and Jacob's perspectives it doesn't show us that Renesmee may have had a very strong bond with her father. It only shows us what Bella is told after she wakes up and it follows closely what happens to Bella. There are several months during this time that nothing is mentioned about their daily "routine". It's clear to me that Edward is very protective of his daughter, and it never tells us that Jacob stays at the cottage with Bella so why would he be considered "playing house" with Bella? I think ya'll are reading waaaay too much into a whole other story that has nothing to do with anything in the saga. Just my opinion though...
Grayce
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

TammyAZ wrote:Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems that suddenly everyone who was insisting that the film makers stay true to the books now want them to change everything?? Jacob imprint on Leah?? Really?? Action sequence instead of a stand off?

People need to make up their minds....either you want the movies to reflect the books or you don't. I know there are action sequences and such added to the first 3 that were implied rather than written in the books, but to have Jake imprint on someone completely different and some of the other suggestions are things that change entire plots from the book!

You can't have it both ways here...either you want Stephenies version of BD as it's written, or what YOU think it should be and I'm sure when it's all said and done, it will be her work on the screen and not any of ours.
Everything? I think not. A few minor changes to make it more exciting, definately.

I never said Jacob should imprint on Leah. I meant in the book, I think Stephenie should have written it so that Jacob and Leah get together instead of him getting his "happily ever after" so easily. I hate it when authors take the easy way out and make sure all of their characters are happy in the end. As far as the movie goes, Jacob will imprint on Renesmee, and I will be okay with it because that's how Stephenie wrote it. I just wish she didn't.

And yes, an action sequence. ZOMG ACTION???!!! :shock: Yes. Action. Read those chapters in Breaking Dawn. They're nicely written, and it kept me intrigued, but it wouldn't translate well at all to the big screen. So much of it is internal, and from the outside looking in, it doesn't look like much at all is happening. And also, what about New Moon? That fight was added. Edward and Felix didn't have that little spat in the book.

So yes, nothing plot altering here. I think you were misinterpreting what I said, especially about the imprinting thing.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

GrayceM wrote: I'm not sure what is meant about Edward not raising Renesmee and passing her off to Jacob. Since Breaking Dawn is written from Bella's and Jacob's perspectives it doesn't show us that Renesmee may have had a very strong bond with her father. It only shows us what Bella is told after she wakes up and it follows closely what happens to Bella. There are several months during this time that nothing is mentioned about their daily "routine". It's clear to me that Edward is very protective of his daughter, and it never tells us that Jacob stays at the cottage with Bella so why would he be considered "playing house" with Bella? I think ya'll are reading waaaay too much into a whole other story that has nothing to do with anything in the saga. Just my opinion though...
I'll admit that it's been more than a year since I've read BD, but the impression I got was that Jacob basically played daddy to Renesmee while Edward stayed in the background. The only times I can recall that Edward was actually there raising his daughter was when Bella was transforming, when he put her to bed [once] before the Volturi came and possibly right at the end when Jacob said something about going to Billy's and he, Bella and Renesmee went to the cottage. Add to that, the only time we "see" Renesmee's dream's, Jacob is nearly matching Bella for the number of times appearing in it, when at her age, it's primarily the father and mother that appear the most, not her mother and her mother's friend.
DramaPrincezz013 wrote:I never said Jacob should imprint on Leah. I meant in the book, I think Stephenie should have written it so that Jacob and Leah get together instead of him getting his "happily ever after" so easily. I hate it when authors take the easy way out and make sure all of their characters are happy in the end. As far as the movie goes, Jacob will imprint on Renesmee, and I will be okay with it because that's how Stephenie wrote it. I just wish she didn't.
That's one of the reason's I hate that Jake imprinted on Renesmee. It seemed far too easy that he imprinted on her after he had to accept that Bella wanted Edward. Any growth that he could have had, was tossed out the window. There's always that 'what if' scenario that Renesmee will want to be with Nauel or someone else, leaving Jake as that older, annoying brother, and he'll have to deal with that because he imprinted on the half-breed.
DramaPrincezz013 wrote: And yes, an action sequence. ZOMG ACTION???!!! :shock: Yes. Action. Read those chapters in Breaking Dawn. They're nicely written, and it kept me intrigued, but it wouldn't translate well at all to the big screen. So much of it is internal, and from the outside looking in, it doesn't look like much at all is happening. And also, what about New Moon? That fight was added. Edward and Felix didn't have that little spat in the book.
Exactly. With this being first person it's a lot harder to get those different perspectives on what's happening. And while I wish they would focus more on Edward and Bella and less on the Jacob/Bella angle [because I never bought that with the way it was written], adding something like they did in NM isn't going to hurt.
Egg_Wood
Settled in Forks

Post by Egg_Wood »

I think that is only to be the biggest challenge that will face the making of BD, the whole imprinting issue.

Just a suggestion, They could maybe prevent Jacob from seeing Renesmee for a little longer in the movie so she is a little bit older, not just a 'newborn baby', I know Renesmee grows up very quickly anyway. But yes like many others I do find it strange that he imprints on her at such a young age. I think SM had to give Jacob a partner not just left alone for the sake of the love triangle.

I recently read a funny quote from Taylor Launter jokingly talking about the whole issue of Renesmee
"I was like, You've got to be kidding me", then laughing states "Hey Bella, your daughter? She's Smokin!"

I thought is was rather funny, but it an issue they need to address very carefully within the movie so the audience isnt sitting there thinking 'um well that was rather odd'
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

RebeccaCullen wrote:Not too thrilled that SM is one of the co-producers because there are changes I think that need to be made that won't be done with her having even more control over the movies (Edward raising his daughter instead of passing it off onto Jacob, Jake not imprinting on Renesmee [doesn't matter how you want to defend that, it's still wrong in my book. She's a flipping baby, and he'll still be about 20 yrs her senior and watched her grow up], an action sequence when the Volturi comes to Forks).
I really don't see the need for an action scene at all. I think the fact that it didn't come to that was very fitting for the Cullens. With the help of their friends and Bella's shield they were able to keep things under control. And that says a lot about the Cullens, IMO, and especially Carlisle, who values life so much.

I agree with what some of the others have said here about Edward. We don't get BD from Edward's POV. We don't know what happens between him and his daughter. We only see what Bella chooses to tell us. And I'll admit that it's been a while since I read BD, but as far as I can remember, Edward and Renesmee (and Bella) share a close moment before they face the Volturi. At least to me it seemed like they shared a close bond ever since Edward heard her thoughts for the first time, and I'm sure we'll see that in the movie.

TammyAZ wrote:You can't have it both ways here...either you want Stephenies version of BD as it's written, or what YOU think it should be and I'm sure when it's all said and done, it will be her work on the screen and not any of ours.
I absolute agree with this. For the first 3 movies we have had our pitchforks ready if they did not make the adaptation perfectly. And we can't change that now. SM gave us the story the way she meant for it to be told, and that's what they need to portray in the movie as well. I'll willingly admit that I didn't like the idea of Jacob imprinting on Renesmee. But I still think that we need to stay true to SM's work, and to change it in the movie, would be all wrong for me.

I'm very excited that SM is producing this movie. But I too would like that she would deviate just a little bit from the book with Isle Esme and the cottage ;) Fade to black just won't work.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
LionandLamb123
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by LionandLamb123 »

RebeccaCullen wrote:

Jacob imprinting - don't make him imprint on someone else, just make no mention of him imprinting on a newborn baby. Find another reason why he sticks around the vampires because like I said, it's wrong in my book and it's not something I want seen on the big screen. She a baby, and he's old enough to be her father. He loves Bella, so make him wanting to protect her daughter reason enough for him to stay.

Stephenie screwed up once with writing Breaking Dawn the way she did after the time line changed, IMO, and if she screws up the adaptation...well, I'll have a hard time swallowing anything else she writes.[/color]

Sorry to say, but Jacob imprinting on Renesmee is almost definitely going to be a part of Breaking Dawn in my opinion,especially with Stephenie as producer ( yay ! :D ) . It would leave so many Team Jacob people disappointed and it wouldn't close the story right or make much sense as to why he never imprinted and he would just end up alone ? I can understand why you think it's wrong, but it's a huge part of the Twilight saga and how everything works in the end and if it wasn't included I think a lot more people would be upset rather than relieved.