Chapter 27: Travel Plans

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 27: Travel Plans

Post by Alphie »

CullenGirl helped us out by providing the questions for this chapter.

1. Why is Edward still reluctant to let Bella go by herself and face the Volturi even though she is a vampire?

2. Why is it important that Irina is first seen in the forest? Did you anticipate her appearance in the forest? Why or why not?

3. Renesmee is growing mentally at an alarming rate while her body is gradually slowing. How is this similar or different to Bella when she was human?

4. One way to stop Renesmee growth is for her to be bitten by a vampire. Bella is totally set against this idea. How is this ironic considering Bella and Edward’s struggle in the first three books? How have their position on this issue changed?
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 27: Travel Plans

Post by sazykid »

1. Why is Edward still reluctant to let Bella go by herself and face the Volturi even though she is a vampire?
It makes him uncomfortable to be away from her for too long. But, mostly, I think he is worried about other ways the Volturi could control Bella. The Volturi know all they would have to do is tell her Edward is in danger and Bella would do anything they wanted her too. Similarly, the Volturi would only have to endanger Bella to make Edward do anything they wanted him to do.

2. Why is it important that Irina is first seen in the forest? Did you anticipate her appearance in the forest? Why or why not?
Alice saw Irina coming to Forks to patch things up so they knew she would be coming. I think it was important for her to be seen first in the forest because no one expected to see others and everyone's guard was down and it would be easy for Irina to spot Nessie. If the Cullens thought she would appear in the forest rather than her arriving by car or some other mode of transportation they would have been on their guard. I figured something was going to happen because Bella pointed out that Edward usually goes hunting with them and this time they didn't. I just didn't know it would be Irina.

3. Renesmee is growing mentally at an alarming rate while her body is gradually slowing. How is this similar or different to Bella when she was human?
Bella grew at a normal human pace. Renesmee isn't growing at a normal pace but it is slowing down. But, like Bella, her mental maturity is well beyond her years. In Twilight it is pointed out that Bella's mother believed to be born in her 30's and get more middle aged every year. Renesmee seems to take after Bella in that respect.

4. One way to stop Renesmee growth is for her to be bitten by a vampire. Bella is totally set against this idea. How is this ironic considering Bella and Edward’s struggle in the first three books? How have their position on this issue changed?
In the first 3 books Edward was against Bella being turned because he didn't want to take anything away from her or endanger her soul in anyway. Edward wanted Bella to have a normal life and to get the chance to enjoy every aspect of it. Bella on the other hand wanted nothing more than to be with Edward forever. In the case of Renesmee both Edward and Bella are against making her a full vampire. It is a physical pain to be transformed and neither of them will put her through that. They also want her to be able to have as normal a life as possible and turning her would take that away.
Hyvanna

Post by Hyvanna »

Volturi still wants Edward and Alice for their gifts, Edward knows Volturis would do anything to get that, he also knows they would us Bella to inturn to get what they want most. Edward would also be in pain being away from Bella for solong not knowing if she is truly safe.

Yes verry important to have seen Irina from a distance, because we knew about her mother an the immortal child she made,and the sisters being all about the rules. Distance gives her first sight of Nessie and no time for anyone to catch her to try to explain what she is seeing. I knew somthing bad was going to happen because SM is verry good at writing like in real life if everything is going good everyones is haveing fun enjoying themselfs something BAD is about to happen. :cry:

Mentally similar but not completly, Bella was smart and a Old Soul at birth, but Nessie goes beyoun in just the first few months same with body growth. But as Nessie's body slows growing she keeps learning wanting more to learn that is Similar to Bella as a teen growth is slow but she loves her books and information.

Bella was blinded by love all she seen befor Eclipes was Edward and the rest of the family, she didnt know what it realy took to over come what they was to show everyone around who they are. I think once she became one she understood better the struggle and the pain, even tho she did so well as a newborn who knows the effects on an already half vampire, would the disire for blood be stronger would the pain of change be less or worse or not even work, maybe we did lose our soul but its worth it to me but is it worth riskin my own childs soul? Edward is thinking of Bella's feeling of how would she deal with the lose of Nessie after she fought so hard and even agians him just to lose her in a few years, so to him to change Nessie to 100% vampire would be natural. To him the only way to keep his world from falling to peaces because Bella is his world. :D
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

he's being edward. protective and cautious for bella... silly edward. :roll:

um, no i didnt anticipate her apperance. and it's important because if irina had seen bella first, she could have hidden and she would have gone off to the volturi without bella or the cullen's knowing.

well, basicly, humans bodies grow slowly. but because bella had the exposure to vampires and werewolves, her mind can comprehend that much more and work all that through. apparently she gave it to her daughter!

well, its a completely different situation and when things go flipped like that, stuff like happens.
Betting on Alice.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Why is Edward still reluctant to let Bella go by herself and face the Volturi even though she is a vampire? Well even if she is a vampire he is still overprotective of her. Plus he wouldn't want to be away from her for very long.

2. Why is it important that Irina is first seen in the forest? Did you anticipate her appearance in the forest? Why or why not? It's important because that way she see's Renesmee from a distance & doing things that a human baby/toddler should not be able to do. I didn't not anticipate her coming.

3. Renesmee is growing mentally at an alarming rate while her body is gradually slowing. How is this similar or different to Bella when she was human? It is said in Twilight how her mom says she was born middle aged & gets older every year (something along those lines.) Bella is more mature than others her age and loves books and learning. Plus she handled A LOT of supernatural stuff & I don't know if a "normal" human would be able to do that.

4. One way to stop Renesmee growth is for her to be bitten by a vampire. Bella is totally set against this idea. How is this ironic considering Bella and Edward’s struggle in the first three books? How have their position on this issue changed? Well the Bella & Edward situation was different. Bella just wanted to be with Edward forever & Edward didn't want to take away her soul & for Bella to have as normal a human life as possible. Plus Bella now knows the pain is intense and would never want to inflict that on her daughter, especially one so young. Things change when you become a mother & Bella was being kind of selfish in her want to be changed to be with Edward (not thinking of her family.)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Because she is still his girl :) And he will always be there to protect no matter how strong she is. It's not that he doubts her ability to take care of herself, it's just that he is used to taking care of her and he always will. And he doesn't want her to leave him and face the unknown by herself. And of course Edward knows that there is a good chance that Bella would not survive a meeting with the Volture, even if she is a vampire. They are a huge clan, and they are highly dangerous. So he would want to be there with her.

Because she got to observe Renesmee doing thing that a normal child of her age should not be able to do. I did not anticipate her appearance.

Bella was always more mature than people of her age, so in a way that is similar to Renesmee. But with Renesmee this effect is so much stronger.

First of all, I don't think Bella would do that to her daughter unless it was completely necessary to save her life. Because she doesn't want to inflict pain on her. And Bella would not want her daughter to frozen in the body of a five year old for instance. What sort of life would that be? She would never be able to be around people with the mind of adult and the body of child. And Bella was an adult when she made her choice and she made it herself, and she wouldn't change her daughter unless she wanted it.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
dazzledBrit

Post by dazzledBrit »

The Volturi are dangerous, even to vampires and Edward knows that Aro was very curious about how Bella would turn out as a vampire, so he might want to persuade or force her to join the Volturi.

Irina's first sighting of Renesmee had to be from a distance with no Carlisle there to explain, because that's why she thinks Renesmee must be an immortal child, having seen her acting far from human (jumping into the air and hunting). That she saw Jacob with Bella as well gave a good red herring, with all the characters thinking she was upset by the sight of the werewolf and not realising that they were in grave danger because Irina thought the Cullens had created an immortal child.

It would seem Renesmee inherited the superhuman IQ of the vampire. Although Bella was quite clever as a human, she had to work hard to do well academically, but like Edward, or Bella after her change, Renesmee finds things very easy.

Bella is against this idea because of the fear that it might kill Renesmee, not make her immortal. Nessie is very like Jacob in many ways and venom is poison to the werewolves. Edwards's attitude has changed in that, while he was afraid that changing Bella might compromise her soul, he's now thinking about changing his daughter. But that's because he's terrified of losing her entirely. And also, Renesmee is already half-vampire. Plus he does think deep down that the Cullens have souls and a chance at an after-life (see New Moon for this). And maybe his attitude has changed with the birth of Renesmee and the knowledge that he was able to create life, and a good life, not a monster.
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Edward is always very protective of Bella in every situation, even if she is a vampire now. He knows how the Volturi act and how there is a small chance something could go wrong.

Was not anticipating her appearance at all,.. I knew they saw her coming, but the way it was put in the book did not make it seem like a huge deal. But now that it has happened it's huge,.. just the way it did. She was too far away, so she couldn't talk to them,.. I didn't think it had anything to do with Renesmee,.. I kind of forgot about Irinia's mother being burned because of the immortal child and how they respected the law so importantly.

Well, it seems to be completely different from when Bella was human. Bella grew at a normal, human pace while Renesmee is growing extremely fast and learning at an unbelievable rate.

lol they kind of flipflopped? I don't know really how for biting her Edward is,.. so it's hard to say. But Bella is against this because they aren't sure what it will really do to her. She isn't human so it won't work exactly like how it did for Bella. They aren't sure what Renesmee is or is capable of so it's almost too deliciate to experiment on.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Because he's just so used to having to protect her, it's a difficult change for him to adapt to.

I didn't anticipate it, and I think that the reason Irina is seen in that forest is because that's the same forest where Laurent is killed. (I'm not sure if that's the case, though...)

Well, Bella grew at the same rate as a normal human.

Bella now understands the difference between being a human and a vampire, and wants Renesmee to get the most out of her human life. I don't think that it's that odd, though, since if she were to stop Renesmee's growth, Renesmee would have become an immortal child, which is illegal. Bella was at least a legal adult when she stopped growing.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Probably because he knows Aro is interested in her, and is worried he will try and keep her there.

So that we're clear that this is her first encounter with the Cullens since the problems with Laurent. No. Should I have?

I don't see that is has anything to do with Bella when she was human. Renesmee is only half human, and so her development will be effected by both vampire and human traits.

It is definitely ironic. Edward's confidence in it as a solution has obviously improved. Bella is wise to have her doubts, though, given the available information. I don't think she'd object if Renesmee was a full human ... when she was older.