Chapter 12: Some people... the concept of Unwelcome

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 12: Some people... the concept of Unwelcome

Post by sazykid »

1. Chapter 12 is titled “Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome;’” who exactly does Jacob mean? Is he just meaning Leah?
At this point I think he is just talking about Leah. She and Jake really do not get along and the last thing he wanted at this point was to have to deal with Leah. He made it clear that he didn't really want her around, but she stayed anyway.

2. Leah left the LaPush pack to evade Sam, her emotions for him, and to get him out of her head. Joining the pack to which Seth belonged aside, what other emotions might Leah have been feeling?
I'm sure Leah was just trying to look after her little brother. They had already lost their father, and I'm sure Leah did not want to worry about losing her little brother as well.

3. Jake postulates that Rosalie might be after Bella and Edward's baby on p. 240. What might Rosalie be thinking for the care of the infant after its birth? Is she interested in being its mother? Does she ultimately wish Bella would die?
This is hard to answer. I read the extra stuff that was posted for New Moon on Stephenie Meyer's website and after reading that I don't think Rosalie actually WANTS Bella to die. Rosealie does care about Edward and she knows what Bella's death would do to him, so Bella's death isn't an ideal situation for her. However, if Bella did die I don't think Rosalie would be upset. If Bella didn't make it i'm sure Rosalie would jump at the chance to be the baby's mother, and ifBella did make it Rosalie was probably considering being a very close second as the baby's mother.

4. Maternal instinct is a very powerful emotion. What do you think Esme might have been feeling as Bella's condition deteriorated? Do you think she was concerned about Bella or the baby? What about Alice?
Considering Esme is the mother figure of the Cullen family I'm sure she was worried about both the baby and Bella. Bella is like a daughter to Esme and no mother ever wants to see their child in pain, which Bella was in a lot of. She was probably worried about the baby too because it is an innocent life and seeing something bad happen to the child would bring back her own memories of losing a child.

As for Alice, I think she was probably more worried about Bella. Alice loves Bella like a sister and she knows how happy Bella makes Edward. If Alice could see what was going to happen and what the baby would be, she would proably be more concerned with the baby. Alice also does not seem to possess maternal instincts as more than a teenage girl can. Alice can't remember her human life so she has no idea if she ever wanted kids, or what it's like to care for children. Since vampires are unchanging it is unlikely that Alice would be concerned about a child she has little interest in (not that she couldn't love the baby at some point).

5. Rosalie’s newfound attachment to Bella provides for interesting interactions between Rosalie, Edward, and Jacob. What type of alliances may be forming in light of Rosalie’s attitude?
Obviously Rose and Bella are getting along better because they both want the baby to be healthy when it's born. Jacob and Edward seem to be forming alliance as well because they both want to keep the baby from killing Bella.

6. Why didn’t anyone, besides Bella or Rosalie, ever ponder that perhaps the fetus could just be a baby? Why did everyone else accept it as fact that the baby was evil?
Rosalie and Bella were both looking at the glass as half full; they wanted to believe that everything would be just fine because they both wanted the baby. Carlisle and Edward have enough medical training in their background to know that typically the father's genes are usually dominant. Since Edward is a vampire they are worried about the child being born an immortal child. Carlisle and Edward want everyone else to be prepared and see their point and so they have to make sure everyone knows what the baby could be. The fear of the baby being an immortal child scares them all and makes them think the baby will be evil.

7. Esme has always been concerned about Edward finding his 'other half'. What thoughts might be running through her mind at the prospect of the Cullen family losing Bella?
She is probably afraid of what Edward would do to himself because of what he tried to do in New Moon.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

1. Chapter 12 is titled “Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome;’” who exactly does Jacob mean? Is he just meaning Leah?

In part he does mean Leah, because when he left Sam's control he knew what he was doing and it was his birth right, he just didn't want the responsibility of the entire pack on his shoulders. I think another part of it has to do with Leah's unwillingness to work with Sam. Yeah, at that point and time, he hadn't tried to get them back, but being around him was something that none of Jake's pack wanted.

2. Leah left the LaPush pack to evade Sam, her emotions for him, and to get him out of her head. Joining the pack to which Seth belonged aside, what other emotions might Leah have been feeling?

Free. It was either be with Jacob, where there had been no emotional ties before the change, or with Sam, who she loved but had imprinted on someone else.

3. Jake postulates that Rosalie might be after Bella and Edward's baby on p. 240. What might Rosalie be thinking for the care of the infant after its birth? Is she interested in being its mother? Does she ultimately wish Bella would die?

Rose always wanted to have a child, and saw this as a chance to have the one thing she couldn't have herself. If Bella had died, I do think she would have stepped up and acted as a mother figure for the child because Bella went to her for a reason when they got back. If Bella had lived, she would have taken on the role as the loving aunt that she had. She was envious of her friend before she had been changed, so a chance at having a hand in raising a baby that can be around their kind was something that she would welcome. I don't think that she would intentionally want Bella to die at the hands of the child, but at the same time, this child was something that Bella knew her sister in law wanted and was willing to giver her if something went wrong.

4. Maternal instinct is a very powerful emotion. What do you think Esme might have been feeling as Bella's condition deteriorated? Do you think she was concerned about Bella or the baby? What about Alice?
Esme, I think, was torn. She knew from first hand experience what the loss of a child could do to the mother. She has shown love for Bella for bringing happiness to Edward, and would want her and Edward to have their happily ever after. I do think she was a bit more concerned with Bella simply because if Edward.

Alice, I think would want her best friend. There are things that she could do and did with Bella that she could never do with Rose. Where Rose rejected Bella becoming one of them, Alice took it with open arms. Bella became Alice's tie to the life she couldn't remember and gave her the experience first hand as a human, rather then an immortal.

5. Rosalie’s newfound attachment to Bella provides for interesting interactions between Rosalie, Edward, and Jacob. What type of alliances may be forming in light of Rosalie’s attitude?

This is where I think that the bond between Jake and Edward became stronger. Both of them resent the child at this point, while the bond between the two girls grew for the same reason.

6. Why didn’t anyone, besides Bella or Rosalie, ever ponder that perhaps the fetus could just be a baby? Why did everyone else accept it as fact that the baby was evil?

None of them wanted to accept that the fetus was just that, a baby, besides the two girls. All they saw was red with it killing Bella. Vampire mythology varying, none of them knew what to expect with it because there was really nothing there to work on.

7. Esme has always been concerned about Edward finding his 'other half'. What thoughts might be running through her mind at the prospect of the Cullen family losing Bella?

Hello New Moon act of stupidity, good bye clean thinking.
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

I think he means Leah -- but, thanks to Rosalie, he doesn't always feel welcome at the Cullen's house and he is certainly no longer welcome on La Push.

Relief is the first thing that comes to my mind -- she's probably feel extremely relieved to be away from Sam's mind. She also probably nervous about the new pack because no one knows how that is going to work -- and a little disgusted that she's now tasked with protecting vampires.

I think Rosalie wants to be very involved in the baby's care. She's very interested in being the baby's mom; but I don't think she wants Bella to die. She knows that would essentially mean the death of her brother which she certainly doesn't want.

Esme was probably simultaneously, and equally, worried about Bella's condition and Edward's reaction to Bella's condition. She is supportive of Bella making her own choice but doesn't want anything to hurt Edward. I'm not sure she was too worried about the baby at this point. Alice was worried about Bella, period. She doesn't like not knowing what the future holds for Bella -- she only knows what she sees in front of her which is a very sick best friend.

5. Rosalie’s new found attachment to Bella provides for interesting interactions between Rosalie, Edward, and Jacob. What type of alliances may be forming in light of Rosalie’s attitude?

Well, a new alliance between Rose & Bella for sure. Probably an alliance between Jake & Edward as well -- versus Rose and maybe even Emmett.

I don't think Esme thought it was evil; but I'm not sure she thought it was a baby, either. Carlisle, Edward & Alice just don't like not knowing what's going one; and they are very concerned with the way it's affecting Bella's health. Edward still believes, to an extent, that he is evil so anything he did that causes Bella this much pain must be evil.

She's devastated that this is even a possibility. She cares about Bella's health, of course, but I do think she is more concerned about the way this could and is have a huge impact on Edward and therefore her family. She supports Bella's decision but is very, very worried about her son losing his partner.

Image Image Image
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i think SM meant leah, but i think jacob had a few other people in mind....ya know??

homesick, betryaed, torn...i could go on and on....seriously

i think rose would like to be it's mother if bella did die, but im not quite sure she wanted her to die. i just dont see that in her.

i think she was concerned for bella not so much the baby, but she respected bellas decision and choice. i dont think alice cared much about the baby because it was blinding her. im pretty sure she was scared for bella though.

i think edward and jacob are getting along better and rose and jacob now know each other....not that that's a good thing!!

because it was killing bella, it was half vampire, and it was making edward and a bunch of people suffer....*babbles on*...*three hours later*, and its making alice blind and making bella sick, and i think im gonna stop now!

im sure she was scared to death. NO PUN INTENDED! and i feel bad for her because she cares so much and its all falling apart right in front of her...poor esme! :cry:
Betting on Alice.
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

Just Leah. I wouldn't read too much into that title; i dont think it was meant to have some deeper meaning.

Umm....rebellious? loneliness? i dont know.

I don't think she cares if Bella dies or not. As long as the baby remains safe and healthy, she's happy. I think she figured she'd get Ness to herself if Bella died, but on the other hand, i dont think she would be entirely put out if Bella survived.

Well obviously Esme was concerned for Bella's health, and Edward's sanity probably. I think she may have been more open-minded about the baby than some of the others, but I think Bella was her chief focus.

5. Rosalie’s new found attachment to Bella provides for interesting interactions between Rosalie, Edward, and Jacob. What type of alliances may be forming in light of Rosalie’s attitude?
Rosalie and Bella against the others. Jacob and Edward against Rosalie.

I think Bella and Rosalie were deluding themselves. For Bella, "this is edward's child, my baby, how could it be evil?" and Rose, well i think she let greed cloud her judgement. The others were more practical and thinking about all possible scenarios.

She was probably very very frightened. She knew Bella's death would destroy Edward. If she died, so would he.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I think he mostly means Leah. But also himself, like he must feel like he doesn't belong anywhere now...noy La Push, not the Cullens house.

Relief I think. She is so glad to be free from Sam, and his thoughts of love for Emily...it must have been very difficult hearing that all the time. She is also prolly very nervous about what Jacob is going to say about her joining his pack, and I'm sure she's not exactly thrilled about helping out vampires! lol

I really hope not. But I don't think she would care if Bella did die, cos then there would be no one "official" to look after the baby. The way Rosalie acts in these chapters annoys me so much; she acts so nasty to Bella's welfare...aaah!!

I think Esme would be concerned for both of them; Bella because she feels like a daughter to them and I truly believe she loves her and does not want to see her get hurt, but also for the baby, as it is a new life for them all to have a part in, to raise a child. I think Alice is only concerned for Bella; the fact that she cannot see the baby suggests to Alice that it is a bad thing.

Edward & Jacob defo becoming more understanding of one another, more friendly. A united ememy!

Mostly due to the damage it was causing Bella! Everyone else thought that anything that hurts its mother so much like that, it must be evil. And since there was nothing to read up on to get a better idea,they went with that thought.

She will be devestated as she knows that if Bella dies, Edward will find a way to die too.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Pretty sure it is directed towards Leah, Jacob doesn't want a pack and that is exactly what he keeps getting. Now that I think about it more, maybe it is more directed towards Jacob himself, from Rosalie. But then again, Jacob realizes he shouldn't be there with Bella but he can't get enough, he can't stop seeing her.

Of course there was probably a high from leaving the pack.. doing something different, exciting.. she's definitely not happy about helping the werewolves but she doesn't want to belong in Sam's pack.

EH,.. that's hard to say. Rosalie really wants to be a mother and I'm assuming she realizes that after this whole situation if Bella doesn't die she's going to be in state to care for a child so Rosalie will get that role. I don't think it really matters either way to Rosalie if Bella dies or not.

Esme is probably concerned for the baby and Bella,.. that's just how Esme is. I'm sure she's just hoping for the best situation possible and nobody die. Alice,.. I'm not sure where she's been or why she's not doing anything,.. it's weird.

Edward and Jacob definitely have a little alliance going on against Rosalie.. the magnets are standing next to each other! hah

Because of how fast it is growing and physically harming Bella. There's no way a normal baby could be doing that.

Eh, this is kinda like question 4. I assume she's just mainly worried that everyone will make it okay and that it will work out for the best. Obviously it would be very hard for them to lose Bella, but its definitely under different circumstances this time.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

Oh poor Leah...........

She was looking out for her little brother.

That she could treat the baby as if it was her own, yes, no she just wants a child.

I think Esme is interested in Bella and the babys conditoin while Alice ismor concerned for Bella because she can't see the baby.

Alliances againts Rose ha ha ha

Because the first thing that comes to peoples minds, human or vampire, is that vampires are evil and so are their offspring.

That Edward wont want to live anymore ):
**Kathryn**
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I think it's just Leah, though, he may be referring to the unborn Renesmee.

Just general sadness and anger at Sam, as well as the rest of the pack who hates her.

No, I don't think she wants Bella to die. I think that she's excited to have a baby in the family in general, even if it's not hers. She would probably love being an aunt.

I think that Esme was concerned for both the baby and Bella; I think that Alice was mostly concerned for Bella, though.

Rosalie/Bella, Edward/Jacob.

Because all they knew about the legends were that they were evil, so they didn't know. Not understanding can cause people to believe very strange things...

That Edward would kill himself, most likely.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Definitely Leah, probably Seth as well. Jacob wants this to be his crusade. And he also probably wants to wallow in misery by himself a bit. Also, again, he doesn't trust anyone else, so he considers Leah a pain and Seth someone he has to babysit.

Freedom, probably. Release. Independence.

I think she would try and stop herself consciously thinking that she wanted Bella to die because Edward would hear that. There's no doubt in my mind though, that she would not be unhappy with that outcome.

I think that Esme was always concerned with both of them, but couldn't accept that the baby had to be destroyed. It hurts her to see Bella suffer, but that doesn't mean she wants her to have a termination, especially since Bella doesn't want it herself. I think Alice would be all for a termination, as she has the same opinion as Edward about the baby.

I think Jacob and Edward are bonding with their dislike of Rosalie's attitude and behaviour. Probably Jacob and Alice, too.

I think it was automatic to think of the baby as evil, perhaps like an immortal child. It didn't help that legends of such children also suggested this, although, as Edward points out, the legends said the same thing about all vampires. I do wonder if he's doubting it has to be the case with this baby too. He is uncertain, though, and what it's doing to Bella doesn't encourage such thoughts.

I think she's grieving, because she knows she'll probably lose Edward too. But she still doesn't think that is enough of a reason to kill the child. She may be hoping that, if Bella dies, the sight of her child will make Edward want to live for it's sake.