Chapter 14 - ...Feeling Guity for Being Rude to Vampires

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: Chapter 14 - ...Feeling Guity for Being Rude to Vampires

Post by debussygirl »

1. Jacob continues to be baffled by Bella's response to him. How do you explain it? Is she still in love with him or is he misreading her signals? I thought then that it was partly her pregnant hormones, being all caring and stuff, and the fact that she still had a soft spot for him.

2. How are the Cullens adapting to the relationship that Seth has to the Cullens and Jacob has to Bella? I think that Carlisle, Esme, and even Edward are adapting fine. Rose has a problem with Jake, but not really the rest of them. Emmett and Jasper we don't hear much of, but Alice seems grateful for their presence.

3. It seems the lines between the Cullens and Jacob’s pack is blurring. What changes do you see taking place. Do you feel there are concessions being made on both sides? I think that they trust one another for safety, and even being a bit more friendly...at least with Seth.

4. What do you think of Bella’s indifferent attitude about her injuries? I just think she wants to help the baby as much as she can and defend it.

5. Jacob is truly growing and “coming into his own” in this chapter. As the Alpha, a werewolf and friend of Bella, how do you feel he balances these different pressures and do you feel his loyalties are changing or are only flexible for this moment? I think he takes on the tasks as they're handed to him, but he does feel the pressure of balancing everything.

6. Do you think Jacob’s attitude about vampires in general is changing or just particular members of the Cullens? Do you think the Cullen’s opinions of werewolves are changing, or do you think some of them already viewed them as potential friends rather than enemies? Just toward the Cullens, and the Cullens of course view the wolves as friends, they're much more open-minded.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

1. Jacob continues to be baffled by Bella's response to him. How do you explain it? Is she still in love with him or is he misreading her signals?

Bella does love Jake in that way, but her love for Edward had always been stronger, and by this point, the child could start picking up when Jake was around. I do think he was misreading her signals at that point because they all thought that the fetus was a boy and not a girl.

2. How are the Cullens adapting to the relationship that Seth has to the Cullens and Jacob has to Bella?

They seem to be taking it in ease. Seth likes them for who they are and not some premeditated b/s that his forefathers had for them. They all seem to understand that Jake had been there when they couldn't be, and became part of her life. there was nothing they could really do.

3. It seems the lines between the Cullens and Jacob’s pack is blurring. What changes do you see taking place. Do you feel there are concessions being made on both sides?

One of the changes I see is how at ease the two parties are. Both stand on common ground for human life and protecting the innocent. They were growing close like a family, and that could cause some damage for either side later on if the wolves can't control their anger.

4. What do you think of Bella’s indifferent attitude about her injuries?
It's the price she was willing to pay for her baby.

5. Jacob is truly growing and “coming into his own” in this chapter. As the Alpha, a werewolf and friend of Bella, how do you feel he balances these different pressures and do you feel his loyalties are changing or are only flexible for this moment?
I think he has accepted at that point that being the Alpha, the werewolf, and the friend was who he was. He was learning that they all tied together at that point and that he couldn't just pick one and stick with it. By being Bella's friend, he agreed to protect her. To protect her he really needed to be the werewolf, even if that only kept her safe on one side. And the Alpha let him see things in a more leader like role, and helped protect the friend he had in her.

6. Do you think Jacob’s attitude about vampires in general is changing or just particular members of the Cullens? Do you think the Cullen’s opinions of werewolves are changing, or do you think some of them already viewed them as potential friends rather than enemies?

I think that Jake is learning that those that are threats can't all be threats if they don't follow the rules. Not all people who's ribs you can see have an eating disorder do they?

The Cullens had the advantage of being able to know what they were thinking, unless they wanted to protect their thought from Edward. They understood that their kind had been damaging to their way of life, and that they were willing to get what they could.
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

1. Jacob continues to be baffled by Bella's response to him. How do you explain it? Is she still in love with him or is he misreading her signals?

We know from Bella's perspective in Boothat she never stopped caring about him. She loves him and will always love him -- but just as a friend. Her relationship with Edward is on a different level than when she first realized her love for Jacob. I don't think Jacob thinks she's in love with him in that way either. He's just extremely confused why she's acting like she is.

2. How are the Cullens adapting to the relationship that Seth has to the Cullens and Jacob has to Bella?

All the Cullens are adjusting to Seth's relationship with them very well -- and I think that has to do as much with his upbeat attitude as much as their willingness to look beyond what he "is." The only one who isn't adjusting to Bella's relationship with Jacob very well to Jacob is Rose. Unlike Edward, Jacob isn't shy about expressing his aggression towards Rose and/or Bella's pregnancy. Needless to say, Rose doesn't like that and doesn't want Jacob around. But, as long as Bella wants him around he will be around.

3. It seems the lines between the Cullens and Jacob’s pack is blurring. What changes do you see taking place. Do you feel there are concessions being made on both sides?

There are certainly concessions made on both sides. Both sides feel innately threatened by the other's presence. They both have to put that natural instinct aside to even be near the other. The cullens give alot to Jacob's pack by allowing them in & around their house and Jacob and his pack members have essentially given up their home and familes to help protect the Cullens

As Jacob would say it's "So Bella." She's the classic martyr -- willing to give up everything (not only including her own health but also Edward's sanity, apparently) for something she believes is more important.

5. Jacob is truly growing and “coming into his own” in this chapter. As the Alpha, a werewolf and friend of Bella, how do you feel he balances these different pressures and do you feel his loyalties are changing or are only flexible for this moment?

I think his loyalties are truly changing. He is learning what it's like to have others rely on you -- both his pack & the Cullens -- and now knows of that pressure. He seems to be balancing the pressure well. He may not always have the best internal attitude about helping vampires but he knows it's the right thing to do.

6. Do you think Jacob’s attitude about vampires in general is changing or just particular members of the Cullens? Do you think the Cullen’s opinions of werewolves are changing, or do you think some of them already viewed them as potential friends rather than enemies?

I think Jacob's attitude toward vegetarian vampires is softening. He does seem to have a particular even softer spot for certain members of the Cullen family. The Cullen family's general opinion of werewolves started to soften a bit when they joined up to fight the newborns.. Jasper & Emmett are still suspicious and Alice doesn't like that she can't see the future when it involves them but overall they have a much more positive attitude. I think they are all fine with Edward and Seth's friendship because they trust Edward to know Seth's true nature.

Image Image Image
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

she is definetly still in love with him! nothing is misread!!

well, considering what could happen. and as best they can, with their past realationships.

yes! definetly!! i feel as if their all one coven....or pack...or what ever. but i dont feel like there are any lines at all.

just like bella. trying not to worry the ones she loves....silly bella... :roll:

i feel kinda bad for the guy!! i mean he has soooooo much to do and soooooo littel time! poor jacob... but he's handeling it well.

i think its just for cullen's. but, now that he knows more about them, he may think, "oh, people can change and maybe vamps can too." or something like that. and i think that the cullens respect for the pack is changing too. but not friends or enemies, maybe for some certain relationships, but in general it like an ally-ship.
Betting on Alice.
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

I dont know. i hate how bella likes/loves him. its so annoying. i try to ignroe any and all interaction or thoughts involving him.

Umm...they're being more hospitable to them? i dont know

I dont think the lines are blurring at all. The Cullens are friends, allies to the pack. Just because they're being friendly towards one another doesnt mean anything.

She's always been that way. She downplays everything at the conveniance of everyone else.

His loyalties are definitely changing.

I think Jake only likes the Cullens. I think Carlisle and Esme already thought of the werewolves as potential friends, but now i think some of the others are viewing them in a similar way.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I don't think she is still in love with him, in fact I am sure she is not. She does love him, but only as a friend, and I think that's why she is always so happy to be with him; he is her best friend, he makes her happy, makes her laugh. I think he is totally misreading her signals, but I don't really get it why he can't understand that she is glad to see him cos he is her friend? lol.

I think that they love Seth! He is so comfortable around them, and doesn't think of them as "leeches" or whatever; he generally likes them and treats them as people. I think they are really grateful that Seth does this; he is just great!!
I don't think they really have a problem with Jake (apart from Rosalie!). I think they understand that he is Bella's friend, and he makes her happy therefore they do not mind having him around. Plus when they fought together in Eclipse, I think a boundary for friendship was kind of lain.

Yeah it seems a little like they are on the same "team", which to an extent they are. Both Jacob's pack and the Cullens want to protect Bella, and I beleive that they would protect one another from other vampires or Sam's pack. I think even Leah would, if she had too...in general everyone is trying very hard to get along!

Typical Bella!! I jsut want to shout at her and make her see sense!! lol. I can't imagine what it is like for Edward to sit and watch her get broken like that...no words///

I like Jacob the most I ever have in the Sage in these few chapters. He actually seems like a decent guy!! I think he is doing all this for Bella tho, and if anything were to happen to her, I think he would kill them all...well, go down trying.

I think Jake only likes the Cullens, as much as he is ever gonna like vampires anyway. He still views all other vampires as enemies, parasites etc. I think the Cullens opinions are changing towards werewolves, apart from Carilse - I think he would have always viewed them as good, potential friends.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

She loves Jacob,.. it's not something that just goes away. But he realizes that she loves Edward more than anything in the entire world. He might be somewhat overreading her signals, but I think she's just excited not to have lost her best friend, and with her becoming a vampire very very soon, she knows she will probably lose him, so the more time she sees him the better.

I'm sure the Cullens are overjoyed that a werewolf is completely comfortable with them,.. and they are warming even more up to Jacob because of his relationship with Bella, maybe they are finding it easier to understand what is between Bella and Jacob by seeing them together.

Seth and Jacob wearing vampire clothes, eating their food, sleeping in the house,.. ect ect. The Cullens are definitely being very open and hospitital to the wolves,.. offering them beds and showers and whatnot.

She's playing it off so the others won't feel even worse about the situation. Typical Bella.

He sees whats right and wrong and what needs to be protected at the moment. He's beeing there for Bella, taking charge of his pack and being loyal to the Cullens because they haven't done anythign wrong.

I think the Cullens have always somewhat some them more as people then werewolves, they realize how young and possibly dangerous they were but never treated them worse, only when Bella's safety was an issue. Jacob is worried about hurting the vampires feelings, and while spending more time with them,.. he's realizing they are kinder and better than most humans are. That's usually what happens when you get to know people who you thought you hated.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

Sense we aren't suppose to put spoliers on here for the latter chapters I'm going to go with no comment ;)

They're being polite, cooking them food, letting them sleep in their home, and giving them clothes.

They work together to track the other wolfs, and protect Bella. The wolfs, except Leah, are wearing the clothes despite the smell and the vampires are just being kind all around, except Rose

That she is underreacting. I'd be freaking out.

He keeps is little pack in check, keeps some contact with the La Push pack, and still visits Bella in a friendly mannor

Just towards the Cullens. I think they already viewed thme as potential friends
**Kathryn**
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

She still loves him, but only as a best friend. I think he's misreading just a tiny bit.

Pretty well, I think.

It seems that Jacob's pack is becoming really close with the Cullens, since they're both trying to protect Bella.

She's probably lying about the pain, mainly because she doesn't want anyone to think that her baby is evil.

I think his loyalties are truly changing.

I think that Jacob probably only sees the Cullens as friends, and that the Cullens already viewed the werewolves as potential friends.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think that she thinks she is, but at this point I had realised that Jacob was likely to imprint on the baby, and I felt that all this might have more to do with the baby than Bella.

They're starting to treat them as extended family.

As I said above, the Cullens are seeing them as extended family. I think Jake and Seth (especially Seth) are viewing them as friends, although this development is much slower for Jacob. Leah is refusing it completely.

I think she is trying to put on a brave face to stop everyone worrying so much. Pity it doesn't work.

I feel his loyalties have changed in this situation, but I felt it possible they could quickly change back if he had a difference of opinion with the Cullens over something. After all, he's always right, isn't he?

I think it's his opinion of the Cullens that are changing, although this is probably making him realise that vampires don't have to be evil. The Cullens are realising that the wolves are just as much people as they are.