Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
guenevere1575
Settled in Forks
Location: Athens, Greece (quite near to Italy and the Volturi, that is!)

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by guenevere1575 »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
I would knowing not because I'd like to make advantage of him but because it's beautiful to share things!

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
Being friends with Billy for so long I think justifies him enough... How on earth could he know what was happening anyway?

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
Bella is always daddy's little girl. And Charlie affraids that if Edward leaves Bella again she would perish.(my dad would) I think this is why he reacted this way. As long as it regards Renee... She just want her happy, at any cost (my mom would I know)

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
I was long expecting it :D :lol: :D :lol: How could Jacob show up? He's already tortured enough...
One thing I knew for sure. I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him...
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
Hell no! Bring on the Mercedes, baby. ;]

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
I felt like he was justified. After all, Jacob is a family friend. Charlie was probobly really worried.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
Neither one acted the way I thought they would. I expected them to be a lot more mad than that.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
No. Why should I have been nervous? Yes, I had a feeling Jacob would probobly show up.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward? Probably. I like nice things but not extravagant flashy things.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation. I think it is a good deep for Charlie to do for his friend. I doubt Billy objected, and if he did, he would have asked Charlie to remove them.

I love it. I love how Renee was realistic in realizing who her daughter is and how she is different form herself. Charlie's reaction worked for me too.4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up? I hoped Jacob would show up!!!!
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~ yes, i don't like big gifts.

~obviously, Charlie didn't know why Billy wasn't doing anything about it. He just wanted to help his best friend.

~i thought he was funny :) i was suprised at Renee but also very happy!

~yes, i was hyperventilating as if it was me in the wedding. :oops: i knew somehow he would show up there.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

I'm honestly not sure. In some ways, I know how much *I* like to give my loved ones gifts, so maybe I would accept it... but at the same time um, hello... it's a CAR. That is more than a little ridiculous

Charlie did what he felt was necessary. He may not have jurisdiction, but he was doing what he thought was necessary and best for Billy & Jacob.

Ooh... I thought Charlie's reaction was very typical for a dad whose teenage daughter came home and said she was getting married! Renee's reaction seemed very Renee-ish, based on the little bit of her character we got to know throughout the books -- only in that it was the opposite of what both Charlie and Bella were expecting!

I was not nervous for the wedding, I was fairly sure nothing terrible would happen. I actually hoped Jacob would show up earlier than he did

Image Image Image
BellsEdwardalways
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by BellsEdwardalways »

Yes, I would have because well, it's just that I couldn't do something like that for them and it would be highly unnecessary for them/him to buy me a car.

Really, Charlie should have left up to Billy whether or not posters were put up but Charlie was doing it because he cared about Jacob. At least that's what it seems to me I mean the reason he put up the posters.

It's highly unsurprising that Charlie reacted to the engagement the way he did. I thought it was entertaining that he decided to rely on Renee's reaction to the engagement. I liked Renee's reaction to the engagement. She understood that her daughter making the decision to get married at 18 wasn't necessarily the same as when she had made the decision to get married young. Renee realized that difference between her and Bella and that's something I appreciate or liked.

I was psyched for the wedding not nervous. I was so happy when Bella realized that the whole wedding thing wasn't a horrible thing. As for whether or not I though Jacob would show up, I am not sure how much I thought about that. I wasn't like shocked that he did but it was nice that he did until the end anyway.
http://chelseadawn.webs.com/
Banner by Kimmy. Avatar made by Narnia
Banner by threethings
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

I wouldn't have if it were me. There are just some things that need to be done together I think. Or at least till after they were married lol. He bought them before. I don't know. All I have is a truck that I am working on having fixed lol. No new car in my future :cry:

Well yeah because he didn't know that Jacob was a wolf so he couldn't have known and he cares a lot for Jacob so being the Police Chief then I think it was justified.

I thought at first he was going to throw another fit lol. But I actually burst out laughing when he did because I was picturing it in my head almost to vividly.

I knew Jacob was going to show up. There was no doubt about it. He wouldn't have missed a last chance to see Bella. But no I wasn't nervous about the wedding at all.
RedRibbon
Settled in Forks
Location: Locked in a tower in Italy; Eleazor told the Volturi I was special...he was right ;)

Post by RedRibbon »

Well, i'm not as selfless and generally nice as Bella. I would have probably said something along the lines of "Oh, you shouldn't have!" then accepted the car with open arms. Though i would have been terrified of even getting a speckof dust on it if it was the Mercedes.

I didn't really think it was Charlie's place to put them up. I know he was obviously very concerned about Jacob's absence, but i think he should have respected Billy's wishes seen as at the end of the day he is his father. If it was someone else he didn't know then he wouldn't act against the parents wishes- he only did it because he knew Jacob and Billy.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?[/colour]
I thought Charlie would have been more angry, that he'd have thought Bella was throwing her life away at a young age. However, as soon as he said the Bella would have to ask Renee i sort of knew Renee would react well. I don't know it just seemed like she wouldn't want to stand in the way of "true love".

I was excited for the wedding! In a really silly, alice-ish way. I wanted to "see" the dresses, and the decorations and all the magic. I kind of disregarded Jacob and focused on Edward and Bella. So no i didn't expect him to show up, but that was probably because i was so into the wedding itself.
acidRAYNE
Settled in Forks

Post by acidRAYNE »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward? yeah, i really don't like it when people buy me things. i always feel as if i have to repay them.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation. I get where Charlie was coming from. He had no idea what Jacob really was.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted? I figured Charlie would pawn the "you're too young" talk on Renee, but I totally didn't see Renee's reaction coming.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up? Ok, so I got BD at the midnight release. On the way home my friend and I were flipping through the pages. I saw where Jacob had a book to himself so I figured that was when he would come back.
ImageImageImage
loveuccs
Wandering Through Town

Post by loveuccs »

Maybe not but, I would be happy living at the end of the world with nothing but Edward. Seriously, who needs cars?? ... or clothes? :)

:? he loves Jacob, what a question (!)

I was preparing myself to a screaming show from Renee, and Charlie counted on that too.

I knew he would come back, don't know how, don't know when but he would.
The way he behaved, well... that was surprising.
It's too green. An alien planet!