Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
revrag
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: New Moon Extras

Post by revrag »

Getting these extras were awesome and I enjoyed reading them. As far as a NM from Edward's perspective...you know all of us would really love it...but it would break our hearts at the same time. NM from Bella's perspective at the beginning about did me in, in the beginning.

I just can't get enough of these characters...they are just too real and awesome.
justme
Settled in Forks

Post by justme »

It doesn't have to be just Edward's perspective does it? The companion novel could flesh out the Cullens more, and tell some of what Jacob was living through or Charlie. I'd love a companion series that was told from a multiplicity of views so I could develop the whole world more in my mind.
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

The bit from "In Jacob's shoes"
Is really good.

I like all the parts from Jacob's POV, although I really wish he were happier.
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

I loved the one "If Jacob Didn't Break The Rules", it's really good. I just really want to know what would have happened if Edward never came back. And Bella and Jake....

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
ShootingStar
Wandering Through Town

Post by ShootingStar »

justme wrote:It doesn't have to be just Edward's perspective does it? The companion novel could flesh out the Cullens more, and tell some of what Jacob was living through or Charlie. I'd love a companion series that was told from a multiplicity of views so I could develop the whole world more in my mind.

SUCH a good idea, I love the idea of the Birthday party scene told from Jaspers point of view, plus she could include the extra that SM wrote of the phone conversation between Rosalie and Edward. Plus then we'd hopefully get to hear more from Alice (YAY!), and maybe some stuff from the POV of the humans, like Angela (YAYYYY!)

Love that idea.

Abi x
"I can do this, I lied to myself feebly. No one was going to bite me." - Bella, first day of school. =]

Don't you know who you are, you're my shooting star.
E <3 B.

ariadnee
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by ariadnee »

The movie folks are wondering how to incorporate more Edward into New Moon, a novel where he is largely absent. It seems to me that the Edward POV outtake from New Moon is exactly the way to do that. Periodically, while we are watching Bella struggle through her darkest time with Jacob, we get flashes of Edward hunting and suffering on his own. The trick is how to do that without detracting from the pressure that we all, as readers felt, wondering if Bella would really give in to Jacob's love for her and respond to him.

I'm reminded of the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice, where we get a few scenes of Darcy in London, while Elizabeth is at home, and not knowing anything that is going on there. The Jane Austen novel is written entirely from Elizabeth's perspective - the extra footage is entirely new. But yet, it doesn't detract from the story for modern audiences.
Mara Jade Cullen

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

As the readers, we don't truly know if Edward was going to come back or not (well, apart from there being another two books). I don't know that seeing Edward suffering in the middle would be good. It would tip the hat as to if he really stopped loving Bella like he said.
Perhaps the hunting a bit.
Perhaps making Bella's hallucinations more than just Audio--making them visual as well. And perhaps some dreams/memories like flashbacks of special times that they had together.
But I don't really want what Edward is doing during that time to detract from the viewers getting to know and love Jacob. And wondering perhaps if Bella will start feeling for him.

I sure hope that they seek Stephenie's input on that. I know that the studios are antsy to have a movie where their main draw (Rob) would be absent from so much of the movie. But we have to be true to the story.
Plus, if they are worried about Rob fans being disappointed, they should just make sure that linger on Edward shirtless in Voltera. The gals will likely forget that Edward was absent before that. :twisted: :P :lol:
Team Edward
CrazilyObsessed024
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about one thing or another involving Twilight

Post by CrazilyObsessed024 »

I love them all. They are very insightful.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ariadnee

Post by ariadnee »

This came up on the Midnight Sun discussion forum, but it seemed more appropriate here, so I posted it here as well...
Jazz Girl wrote:I personally think that, from the birthday party to Rose's phone call, it would pretty much be the same thing... just him repeating to himself over and over, "she deserves bettern than that...she deserves better than me."(NM Outtake) You might get somthing from the tracking scenes, but not much.
One evening, while unable to fall asleep, I started drafting it in my head. I've always wondered where he went just after leaving Bella in the woods. I can't imagine him not staying around to make sure that she handled the first few days okay, but I guess I'm giving him credit for more control than he has. If he'd done that, he wouldn't have made it all that far. Apparently, he couldn't handle the anguish of being anywhere near her, and so he ran off somewhere far enough away that he couldn't hear of her. I always envisioned one of those runs like the ones in MS, but longer, perhaps across northern Canada to the ocean on the East Coast. That would take him a good week or longer, and would kill some time while keeping him from thinking too much. Perhaps he spent time with the members of his family who would encourage him to stay away, like Carlisle, Emmett, and Rosalie. Perhaps he tried the stoic route like he did in MS when he was trying to stay away from her - he moved with his family, acted as lookout, did his duty, and just tried to bear the pain. Or lastly, maybe he threw himself into tracking immediately with an intense fervor, hoping that the task at hand would prevent him from thinking about Bella too much.

I'm sure Esme and Alice were against his decision to leave Bella, and I'm pretty sure Jasper would be too, but I'm not certain there. Like Bella, I have a hard time predicting Jasper's reactions. Anyone have a guess?

I'll cross-post this to the New Moon extras forum as well - it's more appropriate there.

Thanks for listening. -Ariadnee
"None of us can choose where we will love." - Erik, from Susan Kay's Phantom

I've written an Edward POV fanfic for New Moon: http://login.fanfiction.net/story/story ... &chapter=1
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

ariadnee wrote:This came up on the Midnight Sun discussion forum, but it seemed more appropriate here, so I posted it here as well...
One evening, while unable to fall asleep, I started drafting it in my head. I've always wondered where he went just after leaving Bella in the woods. I can't imagine him not staying around to make sure that she handled the first few days okay, but I guess I'm giving him credit for more control than he has. If he'd done that, he wouldn't have made it all that far. Apparently, he couldn't handle the anguish of being anywhere near her, and so he ran off somewhere far enough away that he couldn't hear of her. I always envisioned one of those runs like the ones in MS, but longer, perhaps across northern Canada to the ocean on the East Coast. That would take him a good week or longer, and would kill some time while keeping him from thinking too much. Perhaps he spent time with the members of his family who would encourage him to stay away, like Carlisle, Emmett, and Rosalie. Perhaps he tried the stoic route like he did in MS when he was trying to stay away from her - he moved with his family, acted as lookout, did his duty, and just tried to bear the pain. Or lastly, maybe he threw himself into tracking immediately with an intense fervor, hoping that the task at hand would prevent him from thinking about Bella too much.
I'm sure Esme and Alice were against his decision to leave Bella, and I'm pretty sure Jasper would be too, but I'm not certain there. Like Bella, I have a hard time predicting Jasper's reactions. Anyone have a guess?
I'll cross-post this to the New Moon extras forum as well - it's more appropriate there.
Thanks for listening. -Ariadnee
Ariadnee, I definitely think you are giving Edward way too much credit there. If he'd stayed even into that first evening, I don't think he'd have left period, let alone into that first week. At least I hope not. That might seriously mar my affection for the man. We know from Alice's discussion with Charlie that that first week was the worst. After that, Bella kind of went the zombie, lights-are-on-but-noone's-home route. I just can't see Edward hearing that it took trackers from LaPush several hours to find her and when they did, she was borderline catatonic, and then saying, "she'll be okay, she just needs time". I can't see him hearing about/watching her freak out and rip her fingers/hands to shreds as she tears the new radio out of her truck, and thinking that, "in the end, humans are resilient and she'll forget me." No. He left immediately. He left the note for Charlie and he left her life in his hands, figuring, "how much trouble could she really get in in sight of her house." We all know the answer to that, but Edward was grasping at straws.
I agree with you that he ran. I think he ran like Forest Gump. For weeks. When he stopped and he still couldn't outrun his heartache, he started tracking, figuring that that, in it's own way, was still protecting Bella. And, then when he lost Victoria, that's when he would let the utter despair set in. Once again, he had (in his mind) failed to protect Bella. But, as long as he could stay away from her, he could still protect her from what he saw as the most dangerous thing to her; himself.
As for Jasper, we know from Alice that he didn't approve of her returning to Forks when they thought Bella was dead. But, I think that had more to do with two other factors. First, what could be done, honestly? It was, at that point, a risk for any of the Cullens to return to Forks, and we know how crazy protective Jasper is of Alice. But, more importantly, second, I think it had to do with Charlie's reaction. They all have to know Charlie totally blames Edward for what happened to Bella, more so if everyone thought she'd killed herself. Jasper has spent his life living the emotions of others. I am pretty certain that it wouldn't take any effort at all for him to understand the torment Charlie will go through. And, to have the sister of the man you hold responsible for your daughter's suicide suddenly show up?!?! Regardless of how much he liked Alice, Charlie would go postal at the sight of any Cullen.
So, I think Jasper didn't approve of Edward leaving Bella. He knows the change the love of a good woman can bring into a man's life. He's seen with his own eyes that change that Bella has brought in Edward. In Twilight, Jasper says, essentially, as much when he tells her, "do you think any of us want to look into his eyes for the next hundred years if he loses you?" (Forgive me, no book handy to quote correctly).
So, those are my ramblings for the moment.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS