Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 26 - Ethics

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

1. What does Bella mean when she tells Jake “I never had a choice”? Is she saying she had no choice about falling in love with Edward -- it was a kind of compulsion like imprinting? Or that her love for him is irrevocable: once she fell in love, she could never love someone else instead? Or does she just mean that given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be made here? Do you think she is right about this?
I think she meant both, there was no choice with falling in love with Edward ... and also there was no choice between choosing between Jacob & Edward, she has to much love for Edward and that she just sees Jacob as a friend.

2. Jake tells Bella that Edward was like a drug for her. Do you think he’s right? Is her love for Edward more like an addiction than a healthy emotion?
I don't think it was unhealthy. I guess it would be considered a drug, with the fact that they both can't really live without each other. They're meant for each other, soulmates. I can only hope for a love like that.

3. What is Bella getting at when she tells Jake that her love for him was overshadowed by something so strong it couldn’t exist in the rational world? Does she think her love for Edward is unnatural, something you could only feel for a mythical creature? Is the idea of two worlds -- the sane one humans think they live in and the mythical one of monsters and magic -- her way of explaining how she can love two people at once?
I think so, they have a special kind of love.. Vampire and Human. The thought of something like that is laughable, if you've never witnessed it. I think she's saying that she'll never be able to live any human the way she loves Edward, not even just a human but anyone.

4. Jake acknowledges that it is too late now for Bella to be happy without Edward. But he insists that the human life she and he could have had together if she’d never met Edward would have been better for her than the life she will now have. Do you think he’s right?
NO ! NEVER !
Who's to say that if she never met Edward, her and Jacob would be a couple. I mean it's possible with both there dads being good friends, but maybe she would have went back to live with her mom. Who knows?

5. Jake tells Bella that he’ll always be there waiting for her if she changes her mind -- even when she’s a vampire. Only a few weeks ago (Chapter 8), he told her that he’d rather see her dead than a vampire. Why do you think he feels differently now?
I think he was just angry. I don't think he'd rather see her dead.
I thought it was disturbing when he said that, he should be happy that she's happy.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

1. What does Bella mean when she tells Jake “I never had a choice”? Is she saying she had no choice about falling in love with Edward -- it was a kind of compulsion like imprinting? Or that her love for him is irrevocable: once she fell in love, she could never love someone else instead? Or does she just mean that given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be made here? Do you think she is right about this?

I think fate had a part to play in her moving to Forks in the first place. She had spent so much time taking care of her parents that she finally found someone who took care of her even if she didn't like it. She felt so very close to Edward that the connection was something she never felt before and didn't want to let go.

2. Jake tells Bella that Edward was like a drug for her. Do you think he’s right? Is her love for Edward more like an addiction than a healthy emotion?
Yup, I think to a degree he's right. Bella doesn't seem to want to leave Edward because she can't seem to go for days at a time without him.

3. What is Bella getting at when she tells Jake that her love for him was overshadowed by something so strong it couldn’t exist in the rational world? Does she think her love for Edward is unnatural, something you could only feel for a mythical creature? Is the idea of two worlds -- the sane one humans think they live in and the mythical one of monsters and magic -- her way of explaining how she can love two people at once?

I think it was the connection she felt to both of them. With Edward, she had this emotional connection that no one would be able to fill in the way Edward could. With Jacob, he was more like a brother to her, someone she could talk to. I think that the two worlds theory is the best thing she has.

4. Jake acknowledges that it is too late now for Bella to be happy without Edward. But he insists that the human life she and he could have had together if she’d never met Edward would have been better for her than the life she will now have. Do you think he’s right?

It depends on which way I look at it. I think her mom marrying Phil and being unhappy drove her to Forks, but there was something else pulling her there.

5. Jake tells Bella that he’ll always be there waiting for her if she changes her mind -- even when she’s a vampire. Only a few weeks ago (Chapter 8), he told her that he’d rather see her dead than a vampire. Why do you think he feels differently now?

She went to him after she made her choice and he was the one to push her out. If he wanted her in his life he would have to accept what she was and who she was with.
nafereti
Has Caught Sight of Edward
Location: roll'n wit the turtles, run'n wit the wolves & Taylor's Left Pec

Post by nafereti »

-I think it is like imprinting. She did say (in the book) that is was like Sam and Emily, she didn't have a choice. When you think of it, she was kind of drawn to Edward from the start. From the beginning, she couldn't stay away. Every minute she was with him made her fall more in love. And she did want to love Jacob and make him happy, but she couldn't give Edward up as well. Just like Sam with Emily and Leah. Sam does love Leah, but he can't give up Emily. They are all just drawn together by a greater focus.

-Yeah, in a way, Jacob is right. In Twilight, she fell from him so fast and she was willing to do whatever it was to be with him. She was willing to die/ become a vampire just to be with him. She didn't even know him long enough and already she was head over hills for the guy.

-I think Bella was right about the two worlds. Because she seems to know that her destiny is to become a vampire to be with Edward, but as a human, she knows that she was meant to be with Jacob. But since they don't really live in a rational world, she was drawn to something much stronger then a human-love.

-In way, yeah he was. Due to the fact that she didn't have to lie to her parents about who she was and her family. Well kinda of cause if she ended up with Jacob, her family will be werewolves. (Then again, if she never met Edward, that will mean that none of the vampires were there in Forks. So would that mean Jacob wouldn't have turned into a werewolf...right?) But still she was connected to her human life. She could be with her parents, her friends from school, have plenty of kids, watch them grow up, grow old, and live a full life. The way life is suppose to be. I believe Rosalie said it best when she said...(something along the lines like) "if we all had our happy endings, we will be in our graves right now."

-Because he now knows Bella's true feelings about him. He proved that she was in love with him. Before he didn't know, so he told her that he'd rather see her dead. But now, since he knows that Bella really is in love with him, he doesn't want to let her go. He wants her to remain in his life, no matter what shape/ size/or form. He'll take her any way possible, just as long as she's there.
Team Turtle//Skank Pack-Tay's L.Pec//Dork Squad-SuperSonicSamoan
TEAM TAYCOB WEBSITE: http://teamtaycob.webs.com/
aisya7890
Settled in Forks

Post by aisya7890 »

Imprint. Fate. Whatever you call it. I believe (though please excuse me since it's been a while since I've read eclipse so I might be wrong) Bella said something about her and Jacob being soulmates just like Sam and Leah...but that's the thing if they WERE soulmates they would DEFINITELY be together. I've always been a huge believer on fate. Even if Bella hadn't met Edward until later on in her life, even if she were together with Jacob it'll just end up like Sam and Leah all over again. She'd leave Jacob for Edward. It's the way it's supposed to be. But just because it was fate or some form of imprint, just because it's supposed to be that way that doesn't mean what she feels for Edward was forced onto her in any way. She fell in love with Edward on her own accord. Well...at least she thinks its love. -_-

Yes I do believe he's like a drug to her just like how she's a drug to Edward. It's seen clearly really. She wanted Edward to stay with her when the newborns were coming just so she would feel comfort in the fact that he'd be alive to keep her whole. Which in my book is just crazy. Even if you love him, no matter how deep it is risking others lives, the people you supposedly care about (even if they weren't really in danger...)...And lets not forget how she reacted after Edward left in New Moon. It really does seem like an addict losing his last few bits of heroine. And what about Edward? The way he just can NOT be around her for fear a meteor might just happen to fall and hit her on her head. Of course it's not healthy but a healthy relationship doesn't exactly make much of a story now does it? That's what makes Bella and Edward's story so unique and interesting. Their relationship is unhealthy and yet we just can't look away from it. lol now I made US sound like addicts XD.

I think Jacob explained it the best. He's the sun but he can not win against an eclipse. Edward's the eclipse. I do believe in some ways Bella does love Jacob but it was fated for her to love Edward more. What she feels for Edward is something undescribable, something almost unheard of.

Of course it would be easier...in theory. Everything is easier in a fantasy but reality can be a lot different than how we would imagine it to be. Sure, Bella gets to stay human, sure she'd make both Charlie and Renee happy...but who's to say if Bella and Jacob would be happy together? For some reason I think it's better for Bella to stay with Edward. Edward is overly protective to the point that it might seem like he's controlling...and who's the only one who can stand that? Bella of course. Bella is stubborn, selfish (yes come on she is very selfish)...and who can stand that other than Edward? I think their strengths and weaknesses are what makes their relationship work. Jacob is reckless, stubborn(just as much as Bella), not so patient, and Bella is...actually when you think about it she seems like a female version of Jacob. They're both too similar...too similar that one day it'll drive them insane. I think even if they ended up marrying each other I doubt it'll last. That is IF Bella even wanted to marry Jacob.

He said THAT when he was angry. People usually say stupid things when they're angry so that's probably the reason he said that. But that doesn't mean he means it.
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

I think she means that once she realized she loved him, she would never see anybody else in the same way, and she knows it. No matter how much she loves Jacob, there isn't any way that she could ever compare that love with the hugely passionate way she loves Edward. I think she's right, in a way, but wrong in another. She's right; the love she feels for Edward will never be equaled by anyone else for her. But she could feel love again and make it work... I think there's always a choice to be had.

He is like a drug for her... or maybe an Anti-Drug. I think her love for him is healthy... as long as she believes he loves her back. Her love for Edward is like a pendulum; one minute, it's healthy, the next, it's not. Heron versus prozac. :)

I don't think their love is irrational... their love is very human with some inhuman tendencies. I would have to think about the two worlds thing for a long time before I could answer this question with any level of intelligence .

It could be right... if she hadn't already made the decision to become part of Edward's family, to become what she would. But we'll never have a way to know whether or not he's right... we'll never be able to tell.

He's seen how these vampires are so much more different than the ones that were the original wolf's enemies. I think he's convinced himself that Bella will still be Bella when she's changed. Besides... he loves her, and it's irrational of course.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
zoelynn602
Wandering Through Town

Post by zoelynn602 »

I think it is a little bit of each, love at first sight with Edward, then once she fell in love with him, it is pretty well impossible to love anyone else the way she loves him so much that she has no other choice. She is right about her decision, Edward is what is best for Bella.

Edward is not exactly a drug for Bella, he is more like air for her, she cannot live without him.

Her love for Jake was overshadowed by her stronger love for Edward, it is not unnatural, its just the way it is.

I believe he is right to an extent, but it was fate that brought Edward and Bella together, it was going to happen, it was inevitable.

He told her he would rather see her dead out of a sheer reaction to the information she just provided him. He was shocked and angry, but he has accepted the fact that that is what is going to happen, he still loves her even with the change he knows is coming.
I cannot live in a world where you don't exist...
patricac
Settled in Forks

Post by patricac »

I was thinking that Bella was trying to explain that the way it was for her and Edwards was similar to imprinting. Bella referenced Sam/Emily’s relationship. Sam loved Leah, but he couldn’t not be with Emily. Edward also referenced the imprinting and said that Sam/Emily’s love was almost as strong as the way he felt for Bella. It was fate for them to be together, she couldn’t live without him.

I think it’s interesting that Jake picked up on that. Especially since one of my favorite scenes in Twilight, Edward makes the same reference with himself and Bella as his personal form of heroine. I do think that Edward is kind of an addition for Bella. When he’s away, she has withdrawal symptoms – it’s physically hard for her. Bella loves Edward for all he is, so it’s also a healthy emotion.

Bella could have been happy with Jake. That was where her human life would lead her. But that’s not the path that she chose. She chose Edward and immortality.

I don’t think that Bella and Jake would’ve ended well. Edward mentioned in one of the chapters, that it was possible for Jake to hurt Bella with no choice – the same way Sam hurt Leah. Jake wasn’t imprinted on Bella, they weren’t meant to be. Jake wanted to imprint on Bella, but he didn’t. If he imprinted, the feeling would be overwhelming and he would have to leave Bella.

Jake knows Bella loves him. As long as Bella was still Bella, Jake would make the rest fit into place. Also, I think he was still hoping to persuade her not to become a vampire – providing options still.
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

1. What does Bella mean when she tells Jake “I never had a choice”? Is she saying she had no choice about falling in love with Edward -- it was a kind of compulsion like imprinting? Or that her love for him is irrevocable: once she fell in love, she could never love someone else instead? Or does she just mean that given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be made here? Do you think she is right about this? I think she meant I never had a choice because she was already in love with Edward, and there was nothing that could take her away from him already. That she's not strong enough to leave him. That she loves him. And that it was fate and destiny to be with Edward.

2. Jake tells Bella that Edward was like a drug for her. Do you think he’s right? Is her love for Edward more like an addiction than a healthy emotion? Her feelings for Edward started off as an emotion and the more she spent time with him..the more their love increased..she couldn't stand to be away from him. She needed him. By then he was her addiction. In a good way.

3. What is Bella getting at when she tells Jake that her love for him was overshadowed by something so strong it couldn’t exist in the rational world? Does she think her love for Edward is unnatural, something you could only feel for a mythical creature? Is the idea of two worlds -- the sane one humans think they live in and the mythical one of monsters and magic -- her way of explaining how she can love two people at once? No I think her explanation of loving 2 people at once was that she deeply loved someone but at the same time..--- someone completly different kept her at bay while her heart was broken and mended her. So she developed a love for both people. But her love for Edward was so strong, it overcame her love of Jacob. So she chose Edward because she knew she could live with Jacob being just a friend, while being with Edward as a boyfriend. But she knew she couldn't live with it if Edward was gone, but Jacob was her boyfriend.

4. Jake acknowledges that it is too late now for Bella to be happy without Edward. But he insists that the human life she and he could have had together if she’d never met Edward would have been better for her than the life she will now have. Do you think he’s right? No. Because what Bella and Edward had was fate and destiny.

5. Jake tells Bella that he’ll always be there waiting for her if she changes her mind -- even when she’s a vampire. Only a few weeks ago (Chapter 8), he told her that he’d rather see her dead than a vampire. Why do you think he feels differently now? Because he realizes Bella will never change her feelings about Edward..But if she didn't anymore than he knew she would've transformed already.
Renesmee101
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: on a stage infront of a sold out Madison Square Garden, mic in hand, singing my heart out.

Post by Renesmee101 »

I think that it is a bit like imprinting. From the very start there was something about Edward that drew her in. She fell into something so much deeper than love with Edward. She's connected to him in an unbreakable way.

Absolutly its unhealthy. Being that passionate about anyone clouds your judgment and allows you to do stupid reckless things that you would never normally consider. Edward, almost litterally, hypnotized her. He invited her in in such a way so that she could never get free. A relationship like that is never healthy.

I think that, as I said in my previous answer, something about Edward took over her mind and blocked her mind from ever thinking about anyone else in any way other as a friend. I think that she was not so much unwilling as incappable of feeling anything but sibling love for Jake. When he kissed her, he cleared her mind for a second, and showed her that her life could be complete without Edward, but as soon as he pulled away, Edwards control took over again.

Yes. Her life with Jake would have been, as she put it, as natural as breathing. There was never a struggle for her to be perfect around Jake, like there is when she's around Edward. She always feels that Edward is too good for her, and she constantly tries to even up the playing field, causing struggles. There was never anything like that with jake until the mythylogical world took over and jake became something he didn't want to be.

He feels that way now because he's seen what their life could have been like together after that first kiss. He knew from the very begining that he would have been the perfect match for Bells if the world was normal. but since the world isn't normal, he just keeps trying to show Bella that there's always another option. She doesn't have to choose the abnormal life Edward introduced her to.
Team Turtle: Thats how we roll
Skank Pack: Taylor's "V"
Dork Squad
Check out Team Taycob!! http://teamtaycob.webs.com/
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

Edward did say once before in this book that those who had imprinted felt ALMOST as strongly about their loved ones as he did about Bella, I can't imagine Bella would feel any less strongly about him.

Well, I'm Team Edward, so I think everything she feels for Edward is perfectly normal. I don't harbor anything bad towards Jake, it's just that I love Edward more, but maybe Team Jake feels differently about this question.

No, I love the life she's going to have, sometimes I daydream about Bella's life after Breaking Dawn is over. :oops:

He realized he doesn't want her to go away.