A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Waking Up

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
Not at all. Except that I was surprised she was dealing so well with it. Seeing the blank pages with just months on them was the worse; it was that sense of dread like 'oh, God, this is gonna be bad'. And it was. It was heartbreaking to see Charlie's helplessness.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
Maybe it would have seemed better from his point for her own health... But I didn't want her to go. Reading inside her head it would not have helped in the slightest; only stressed Renee out, and she's not as strong as Charlie or as capable as dealing with it, I don't think.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
Because Jess is the typical teenage girl, really - seeing a movie with her is such a normal thing to do. I think she chose Jess because she knew Jess would make it all about herself, taking the social pressure off Bella. It kind of killed their friendship; not that Bella was missing much.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
I thought it really was at first; I almost had a seizure, thinking he was watching her! And then I realised there was no way he would... And that he'd make sure, if he was, that she wouldn't know. So that was that one out. I can't really blame her for putting herself in more danger. I was egging her on in my head the entire time; only after thinking about it did I realise how reckless-in-a-bad-way that it is.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
i was dying as i read the "months" pages. it made me fell so mad at edward!!

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
i think that it would have been helpful. a new start, new location. i didnt like the idea of bella leaving forks, but it did seem like the best way.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
i think that jessica was the easiest choice. if she had chosen angela, she would have had to contribute more to conversations. jessica probably thought little of bella afterwards though.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
i have expected bella to turn around and see edward standing in the shadows. then i figured it out and i was mad he wasnt back to stay! :lol:
Betting on Alice.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel? I completely understood. She was just going through the motions not wanting to feel anything.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? I didn't want her to I know she didn't think he would come back but I knew he would. But I can see why Charlie wanted to send her to her mom and it may have forced her to start living life in his eyes. I think that no mater were she would have gone she still would never have gotten over it.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship? I think she chose Jess because she new Jess would control the conversation and she wouldn't have to talk much. I would have chose the same. I think it pretty much ended there friendship.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? I total thought he was there. Wishful thinking on my part. She didn't know it was the danger that brought the voice on. She decided to be reckless to break her promise. It was just an added bonus for that to be what cause the voice. Once she figures it out and kept being reckless to keep the pain at bay I couldn't blame her I would have probably done the same.
Rosalie Fan
Settled in Forks

Post by Rosalie Fan »

i think its cool how she hears his voice.
Sannois

Post by Sannois »

I have to say I LOVED when she heard his voice. He said things you would have said if he was really there, especially in the meadow when Laurant shows up.
I LOVE when he growls and snarls. :lol:
Every time I hear thunder, I wonder if Vampires are playing baseball. Alice is my personal shopper
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

No, I would of felt the same, I was sad and kinda deprest what kind of book would it be without Edward, without the Cullens?

NO, I had a feeling Edward would come back and that sence he couldn't find her by reading her mind that Forks would be the first place he looked.

Casue Jess was the first person who was her friend on her first day of school, I think it hurt their relationship but no beyond repair.

Yeah :oops: ...I was like oh stupid stupid Bella
**Kathryn**
themeadow
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by themeadow »

-No. Edward is her life...it made me just about as sad as she was.

-No. I knew, given that there were 2 other books, that Edward was going to come back. She needed to stay in Forks because even though Edward would somehow get to her in Florida, it would be a lot harder. I also agreed why she said she didn't want to leave.

-She knew that Jessica wouldn't make her talk about Edward. She could talk about things that didn't matter with Jessica, things that had no relation to Edward. Jessica was a distraction. I don't think that Jess was a good choice because it's really unhealthy the way that Bella was not dealing with her heartache, and I think that a different friend would have helped her deal a little bit better without having to give away the whole vampire thing. This event definitely messed up their friendship. Jess thought she was crazy and that was basically the end of any real friendship.

-I honestly thought that he had come back. I thought he was out there somewhere talking to her. How dissapointed I was when i realized it was not so :-/. In a way I had no problem with her solution because she was so desperate for him and that was the only way she could get more of him since he was gone. That said it was really not smart of her to put herself in danger. But, she didn't want to be the only traitor of an empty promise.
These violent delights have violent ends. And in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which as they kiss, consume.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I felt horrible!! I felt so sorry for Bella, and I truly did not like Edward!! I couldn't believe all the pain he was putting her through.

No I didn;t think that would make any difference to Bella. And I knew she would hate it!! She needed to stay in Forks so she could have some kind of connection to Edward.

I think she chose Jess, cos she wouldn't really ask Bella any questions about herself. She wouldn't see that Bella was hurting terribly inside. I think Jess would have been a good choice cos Bella didn't want to speak about Edward, but I don't nessassarily think that was the best idea.

I was very shocked when she heard his voice! I really didn't expect it!! Some part of me hoped it was him, but I knew that if it really was Edward hiding behind a tree or something, he wouldn't be able to sit there and watch Bella putting herself in danger without stepping in to save her. When he didn't appear, I knew it must not actually be him. I thought she was kinda crazy to put herself in danger, but I kind of understood her desire to hear him, so I knew why she was doing it.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
wig4usc
Settled in Forks

Post by wig4usc »

1.Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?

Not at all, been there, done that. I've been through a breakup that felt very much like how this was portrayed. I read New Moon in less than 24 hours. It put me in a very dark place, someplace I've been before, and felt like I couldn' t put the book down until I was out of there.

Well, as a parent, I understand why you would say that. You just want your kid to be OK, at any cost. Certainly, I didn't want her to go. I mean, how does this change if she leaves Forks. And, I do think if you were going to try to get out of a funk like this, there is some benefit to staying put. I would want to reestablish my life, new memories, etc. and not be run out.

Jess is one of those kinds of friends who is a surface friend. She never really beared her heart and soul to her. She picked her because she knew Jessica is about Jessica and would notice or ask anything of her. And, that was why she went out, for what it looked like on the surface, not because she really wanted to connect with someone. And, I believe the only reason Jessica was her friend was because of what it gave her, so certainly, if Bella wasn't the shiny toy anymore, or acting in a way she didn't like, it would be done.

OK, so I may be the only one here who thinks this....and the book certainly didn't explain it, but I do think this was some kind of connection. I'm rereading New Moon right now and paid close attention to this part. She says the voice is completely unlike her conscious memories of him, which are dull, hazy, flat, etc. I do think its something different than a memory, or her mind doing this. I mentioned early that I've been through my version of this, and I relate to feeling like you need some way to stay connected, even if its not good for you. If danger put the voice back in her head...I get it. I wouldn't want my daughter to do that, or my friend, etc, but it makes sense to me.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

One word Empty!
As a parent yes b/c he was grasping at straws on helping his daughter. Coming from Bella's pov or if I was in her shoes then I would disagree. Forks reminds her of Edward and If I was her there would be hope that maybe he would come back
I think the only reason why she choose Jess is b/c she talks so much and Bella could avoid questions that she didn't want to answer by asking Jess a question that would open make her open up since Jess loves talking about herself. I thought she should've asked Angela in my opinion.
At first I thought it was him but I am a person that thinks of so many scenarios which is why I figure things out quickly. Then I started thinking maybe it was Victoria (her special power if she had one)doing it so she can trick Bella into thinking it was Edward so she can have her revenge.
Banner by TammyAZ