Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by missp »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
Obviously, I knew that Edward was a vampire before I read Twilight the first time because my students had all been talking about the book. So, I thought he left to get his head straight because he didn't want to be faced with his temptation to kill Bella.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
It tells us that Bella is very good at taking care of herself. She is an old soul so to speak because she has taken care of her mother for so long. She is very mature for her age and wise beyond her years.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
Edward's rudeness/hostility towards Bella initially made me wonder if he was going to bite her right away. When he returned and was polite, I thought it was a trap to lure her to him. It took me awhile to not be suspicious of his actions. But, I still rooted for him...whether he was going to bite her or not. I wanted them together from the very beginning.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
Since I knew from the start the Cullens were vampires, I thought he had probably fed on someone while he was away and his eyes had changed color. I did not see the vegetarian thing coming.
Satanicangel666
Settled in Forks

Post by Satanicangel666 »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
i thought that it might've had something to do with bella

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
ummm that she can fend for herself?? idk....

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
:/

he's a vampire
GlowingOne
Settled in Forks

Post by GlowingOne »

I thought he was avoiding Bella, but I was confused when the Cullen`s didn`t leave also. I giggled at Bella`s emotional confusion about how obsessed she was about him, it`s interesting to peer into the female mind...

I could tell she was very mature for her age, and extremely independent. Not to mention responsible and nice and perfect...(Im in love...)

It made me extremely suspicious, and it made me hate him even more. I hate two faced people...

"YOU`RE A WIZARD, HARRY!" I don`t know, I had no idea what his eye-color changing meant.
"Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs. Maybe there was a glitch in my brain." -Bella Swan
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I had no idea where Edward went or why he left but I it was obvious it[ was b/c of Bella./color]
She had to grow up fast and learn to take care of herself and her parents at times.
I thought it was nice that he was polite. I didn't think he was putting on a show but he was being genuine. I had a feeling it was a important reason why he reacted the way he did.
I called it. I knew it was for hunger but I also thought for when he was angry.
Banner by TammyAZ
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

I thought that maybe he was at home. And that he vanished because he couldn't bear to be close to Bella.

That often she has to take care of things that usually parents do. So she is mature in a lot of ways and that she's never been a teenager because of it.

I thought he was behaving like that so that Bella didn't keep a wrong impression about him. He wanted to be polite. It made me think that maybe he was a nice guy, after all.

I thought it was because of his mood. He looked mad when his eyes were black, and now they were golden, and his mood was normal and polite. So I related that.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

I thought maybe he was skipping or was going to leave town since they wouldn't switch his class to be away from Bella.. I wasn't quite sure why though.

Bella had to grow up pretty fast.. Probably the reason she's so responsible. A teenager offering to do the shopping and cooking is pretty mature.

I was very surprised! First he acted like he wanted to kill her.. disappears for a week.. comes back and is nice? what?! lol I
was havin a hard time grasping what could have changed his mind SO much to want to talk to her. Maybe he took his medication? lol

I thought maybe it had to do with his mood.. no other explanation really.
caellach
Settled in Forks

Post by caellach »

Well it obviously had something to do with her. Why, though, I had no idea. I also had no idea where he was, though I suspected he might just be at home.

Bella definitely gives off the "middle aged child" air. She is self sufficient and has been for some time. She is also a nurturer, she takes care of those within her sphere that need her.

It appeared he had received some sort of attitude adjustment and was prepared to be at least civil. Until he showed so much interest, then it appeared there was more to it than simple civility.

Maybe he could change them at will. Changed depending on his mood. I wasn't sure.
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

At my first reading of the text, I supposed that he was staying at home. As Bella was always trying to convince herself that isn’t her fault, I was absolutely sure that was her fault.

That she has always taken care of her mother and she will take care of her father… :)

I didn’t know what think on my first reading. He was trying to change her first impression about him… I think that, maybe, in the time he had left, he had learnt something that gives him the strength to try to know her a little bit more…

I have link the change of color and the attitude… My eye color is influence by my felling and the color that I wear, so thought it might be something like that for him… :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I did guess he left because of Bella, although I had no idea why. To be honest, I would´ve guessed he had just stayed at home, not wanting to go to school.

She is a very mature kid.

This was weird to me to. Why would he talk to her? Why wouldn't he talk to her in the first place? What's wrong with him?

I guessed it was a vampire thing which I didn't get yet.
AyaDiefair
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AyaDiefair »

I just thought he stayed home to avoid the bad smelling Bella.

That Bella had to do a lot of things and learn how to do things on her own for the most part to take care of her mom.

I thought he was putting on a show 100% to get Bella to like him. The way he was so nice and all came off to me as almost fake niceness. xD

Well, I thought it was a mood ring thing effect at first. :lol:
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~