Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Charlie Swan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i don't think charlie is overprotective AT ALL. i know personally, my mother would never be comfortable with my being so serious in my very first relationship. if anything, i think charlie was a little overly calm about it.

of course, we know it wasn't just any first relationship. but charlie has no idea.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
KaseyHeartEdward
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

Charlie for me was awesome! He was a good father.

I loved how he and Bella were so alike. So stubborn and quiet.

With Charlie i don't believ that he neglected Bella. He just didn't know how to be a parent. He barely saw his daughter while she was growning up. And when as Bella lived with Charlie he was learning to be a Parent to a teenager. I can understand hwo hard that could be for him.

Also i understand how it was hard to show emotion. I'm like that it is really hard for me when it comes to my family for me it is becuase i feel i need to be strong for them. For Charlie he has been alone for so long. And the last person (Renee) he showed his total feelings to. Left him. Caused him much pain. So it was hard to open up to Bella. He was afraid he would loose her as well. He always loved her i just don't believe he knew how to show it to her as well as himself in ways.

I loved charlie! He is a good father. And an awesome character.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
sarahbells
Settled in Forks

Post by sarahbells »

I am soo happy that he finally found someone. And who better then a werewolfs mother. They are both trying to deal with the supernatural things going on with their children. HOW PERFECT! =-)
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

But Sue knows that Bella is a vampire, and Charlie does not! :o How in the world is Sue going to keep her mouth shut when Charlien starts to share his concerns with her?? Maybe he won't. Maybe he'll keep pretending things are just slightly off normal. But will he feel like he has to make excuses to Sue for Bella's oddities--like never eating her food, etc.? :oops:
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

Esme echo wrote:But Sue knows that Bella is a vampire, and Charlie does not! :o How in the world is Sue going to keep her mouth shut when Charlien starts to share his concerns with her?? Maybe he won't. Maybe he'll keep pretending things are just slightly off normal. But will he feel like he has to make excuses to Sue for Bella's oddities--like never eating her food, etc.? :oops:
I don't know how much Charlie thinks about all that is going on behind his back, but I think he probably has an idea that Sue is in on it to some degree. I personally don't think it's a healthy relationship if you have to keep so many secrets from your partner, but maybe it works out since I don't think Sue is at liberty to share too much and Charlie doesn't want to know anyway. In that case, Charlie probably thinks that Sue knows enough that he doesn't have to make excuses for Bella's strange behaviors. I kinda feel that Charlie isn't emotionally open enough to share his concerns about Bella, and as long as he keeps up the "need to know" deal, he really wouldn't want to hear the answers. It would be hard if Sue had to lie for Bella, but if Charlie should ever want to know, I think it should come from Bella herself.
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

CantBreathe wrote:...I personally don't think it's a healthy relationship if you have to keep so many secrets from your partner...
There's a difference between keeping secrets and keeping confidences. I put the mythological realities of the Cullens and the werewolves more into the "confidences" category. Don't you think the types of secrets that would make a marriage unhealthy are those that damage the trust between partners? Hmmmm. I haven't thought about this much. :?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

Esme echo wrote:
CantBreathe wrote:...I personally don't think it's a healthy relationship if you have to keep so many secrets from your partner...
There's a difference between keeping secrets and keeping confidences. I put the mythological realities of the Cullens and the werewolves more into the "confidences" category. Don't you think the types of secrets that would make a marriage unhealthy are those that damage the trust between partners? Hmmmm. I haven't thought about this much. :?
You're right, it's not so much that the secrets themselves are damaging to the relationship. I can't speak from personal experience, but I feel like it might put a strain on the relationship when there is SO much that you can't talk about it, especially when it is such a huge part of your life, as with Sue. I think it would be difficult to live like that, always watching what you say or do. Of course, it would probably take some of the strain off if Charlie understood that Sue knew things that he did not want to know, because he wouldn't mind that she was keeping it from him.
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i think we have to keep in mind charlie's opinions on all this. he knows SOMETHING'S going on, but not what, nor does he want to. my guess is sue will be ok with that, it should work out fine, and charlie's smart enough to know that sue knows something.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

It seems to me that Charlie hit the jackpot when Bella moved in. He got a live-in maid and cook and really didn't have to shell out a dime! I understand that he's not the talkative, schmoozy type...but neither is Bella, but yeah, he coud've/should've been more involved in Bella's day-to-day activities. On the other hand, I can understand the fact the he really had no clue how to be an actively involved, day-to-day parent. He was lucky that Bella wasn't the type to really push her boundaries, since she had set them up for herself.
I Want to Believe
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

KaseyHeartEdward wrote: I loved how he and Bella were so alike. So stubborn and quiet.
I don't think Charlie's very stubborn. I don't think he's stubborn at all. He and Bella are similar in that sense, actually.

For example, Charlie grounds Bella, because she tried to kill herself, flew off to Italy without telling him first, and rode motorcycles (and though he didn't know it, she was actually trying to put herself in danger).
He was supposed to be extremely angry, but he still allowed Edward to come back after he emotionally abused Bella. He still allowed Bella free time.

Also, I think we were all expecting Charlie to throw a fit about the wedding, but he really didn't. He was more freaked out that she might be preggers, and when she ended up being engaged, he calmly told her she would be the one to call her mother. No fight. (Someone's probably going to mention that Charlie had reason to not put up a fight, because he understood Bella and Edward's relationship was so *deep* that he couldn't stop them, but that's not my point. I'm just saying he's not stubborn).

And then when Bella came back from her Honeymoon with a baby, he didn't throw a fit again. He found out it was her biological baby and he wasn't even angry. It would've made more sense for him to be, because to him it would mean she had lied when she said she wasn't pregnant.

So... yeah. :D
With Charlie i don't believ that he neglected Bella. He just didn't know how to be a parent. He barely saw his daughter while she was growning up. And when as Bella lived with Charlie he was learning to be a Parent to a teenager. I can understand hwo hard that could be for him.
And Bella didn't want him to pay attention to her anyway. She said she liked feeling as though she was living alone, because Charlie was barely there. I think if Charlie ever 'neglected' her, it was more because Bella neglected him.
Also i understand how it was hard to show emotion. I'm like that it is really hard for me when it comes to my family for me it is becuase i feel i need to be strong for them.
I understand that, too. :P
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj