Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Charlie Swan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

out of curiousity, how was he neglectful?

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
inlovewithmyJasper54
Learning to Love Green
Location: Florida - waiting for a Vampire to shine in the sunlight

Post by inlovewithmyJasper54 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:out of curiousity, when did charlie NOT show respect for bella's relationship with edward?
I meant how he's always being rude to Edward and how he always tried to make bella hang out with other people (like Jacob.)
ImageImage
both made by... me! =) <3
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

Well, Initially he was pretty accepting. He was only rude to Edward after Edward had left Bella devastated in New Moon. I can't imagine how Charlie would not be rude to Edward after that mess.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

LeechesRule95 wrote:Hmmmm.
I didnt like the fact that he was so supportive of her being with Jacob that he'd support Jacob for kissing bella when she was unwilling to. :x He seemed sweet at times and I agree with people who posted before me that yes he was at TIMES a LITTLE neglectful but otherwise he was okay.....
I know this is a really late reply, but I just noticed the comment. I don't think he was backing up Jacob for forcing his kiss on Bella, but for making an effort to usurp Edward.
I Want to Believe
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

inlovewithmyJasper54 wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:out of curiousity, when did charlie NOT show respect for bella's relationship with edward?
I meant how he's always being rude to Edward and how he always tried to make bella hang out with other people (like Jacob.)
well he didn't try to MAKE her he just encouraged it.

Edward lied to his daughter, told her he didn't love her, and left her for dead in the middle of the woods. but politeness must prevail to the glorious edward of course! :roll:

think about it: bella and edward's relationship is UNHEALTHY by any human, real-world standard. charlie gets that. bella has almost NO friends besides edward and jacob, she doesn't really socialize with others....it's not healthy. renee accepted it because it was easier for renee. but charlie doesn't really have a life of his own, and can be more watchful of bella. as a father assuming this was a normal human relationship, i think he did very well. of course WE know that it was fine, but he didn't, and reacted thusly.

slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

inlovewithmyJasper54 wrote:
I don't really think that Charlie didn't "show respect" regarding Bella and Edward's relationship. I think that even though he isn't as overt about it, he loves Bella so much and he didn't want her to get hurt. His instincts told him, even without knowing that Edward was a vampire, that Edward was a risky choice for Bella. He wanted her to chose Jacob because he was "safer," if that makes any sense.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

exactly. any father of a teenager would be concerned if their seventeen-year-old daughter was THAT into a relationship with a boy. as they should be.

slayerchick303

Post by slayerchick303 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:exactly. any father of a teenager would be concerned if their seventeen-year-old daughter was THAT into a relationship with a boy. as they should be.
That is really what I wanted to put across with my comment. A deep, all-consuming love like Bella and Edward's would definitely be concerning for Charlie since Bella was so young (and Edward was young to as to Charlie's knowledge). I know I would be concerned it Bella was my child.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
jonsgirljen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by jonsgirljen »

I agree that Charlie had every right to be upset and bordering on rude when Edward was back after crushing Bella. My dad would've reacted exactly the same way. I think that any dad who loved his child would. I think that it was very upstanding of him to even allow Edward to see Bella after what he did to her. Don't get me wrong, I love Edward, but if it was my daughter that it happened to, I wouldn't be overjoyed to have him around, and I probably wouldn't allow him to be around.

But I think that Charlie is a wonderful father, he actually reminds me of my dad. He loves Bella so much that he would do anything he could for her. I don't think that he was neglectful at all, he just wasn't sure how to communicate with her after barely knowing her for so long. The two are so similar. They are both so quiet and reserved, but yet have this overwhelming love for each other. If anything, I think that Bella needed to be more respectful of Charlie than he needed to be of her.

I loved reading his scenes in Breaking Dawn after Bella became a vampire and Renesmee was born. It made me love him more as a character. The bond that he formed with Renesmee was so wonderful. It was like he was born to be a father and a grandfather, just not a husband.
slayerchick303

Post by slayerchick303 »

jonsgirljen wrote:I agree that Charlie had every right to be upset and bordering on rude when Edward was back after crushing Bella. My dad would've reacted exactly the same way. I think that any dad who loved his child would. I think that it was very upstanding of him to even allow Edward to see Bella after what he did to her. Don't get me wrong, I love Edward, but if it was my daughter that it happened to, I wouldn't be overjoyed to have him around, and I probably wouldn't allow him to be around.

But I think that Charlie is a wonderful father, he actually reminds me of my dad. He loves Bella so much that he would do anything he could for her. I don't think that he was neglectful at all, he just wasn't sure how to communicate with her after barely knowing her for so long. The two are so similar. They are both so quiet and reserved, but yet have this overwhelming love for each other. If anything, I think that Bella needed to be more respectful of Charlie than he needed to be of her.

I loved reading his scenes in Breaking Dawn after Bella became a vampire and Renesmee was born. It made me love him more as a character. The bond that he formed with Renesmee was so wonderful. It was like he was born to be a father and a grandfather, just not a husband.
I completely agree. I think I wouldn't have let Edward anywhere near my daughter if my daughter had gone through the agony "inflicted" by Edward. I might have eventually "caved-in" if my daughter begged me enough, but I would have been way ruder than Charlie. I think it is especially hard for Charlie to express his feelings to Bella because he doesn't want to "drive her off." He's just getting to know her and he doesn't want to scare or make her uncomfortable to the detriment of their relationship. I think Charlie would rather say too little than too much in order to be cautious.

Charlie reminds me a lot of my father as well. Charlie and Bella both have such taciturn natures that I think it comes-off as neglectful, but they both just understand each other to the point of wordlessness. They know they love each other, but don't feel the need to blather-on about it. I do think that Bella could have been more cordial to Charlie at some points, but overall I think they treated each other well.

I absolutely loved those scenes in Breaking Dawn as well. I literally went, "Awww," out loud when I read the scene where Charlie holds Renesmee for the first time. When he cooes at her and calls her pretty, my heart just sighed. As upset, nervous, and afraid Charlie is in that situation, he still loves his family unconditionally. I can totally picture him being one of those men that are just suckers for a baby. I know a few. It is so cute. I think Charlie is such a solitary person that he wouldn't have made a good husband even if he was the marrying type. Charlie is just as guarded about his actions as he is with his thoughts. When you are so protective of yourself like that you truly alienate yourself from a relationship. I think that is Charlie's problem with marriage. I did kind of think that Charlie and Sue Clearwater would become a couple. I don't know whether they would get married, but they'd fall in love.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B