Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Jacob Black

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

oh of course i respect yours too i just don't think you really understand jacob's character, nor his purpose in the story. and i'd love to discuss that with you, if you'd like to. :D

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

Wingtear wrote:new topic...
When did you first experience that Jacob was growing up?
The "ethics" chapter in eclipse. He kind of "matured" there - at least in my eyes.
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:oh of course i respect yours too i just don't think you really understand jacob's character, nor his purpose in the story. and i'd love to discuss that with you, if you'd like to. :D
Well why not discuss normally right here right now? :D
Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

I can agree that the way that SM writes, we can see ourselves in many of the characters at various times.

Why I said that Jacob may be one of the most "human" characters is that he has many reactions that most of us experience at various times in life--especially when young.
Although Edward is my favorite, he's not human. He's a vampire and hence has the patience of an immortal. He's self-controlled even more than his family. Sometimes he can be frustratingly stubborn and closed-minded (like when he's killing Bella's buzz after their honeymoon night. She's "blissed out" and all he can focus on is her bruises.)
Bella, although human is not typical. She doesn't have the instincts or reactions that most humans have. She's odd that way, but that makes her special because Edward couldn't just fall in love with anyone. She does have her human weaknesses (of character/willpower) like when she kissed Jacob. But generally is single-minded and stubborn enough to be a good match for Edward rather than being bowled over by him.
Jacob. He often shows the feelings that we would expect. He wears his heart on his sleeve. He follows his heart. He doesn't want to be a werewolf. He makes childish mistakes like you would expect a 16-year-old to do who's fallen in love for the first time.
Team Edward
Mara Jade Cullen

Sorry to post twice in a row. I know that its a breech of general posting ettiquette (sp? oh well. can't spell at all. LOL).
But I just remembered what I was thinking about the other day in reference to Jacob.
Despite the fact that SM draws heavily upon literary themes she decided to do something different, too.
Most romantic literature have the foil for the heroin--the guy that stands in the way for the main hero to get the girl. And usually these anti-heroes are shady characters.
Look at Sense and Sensibility with Mr. Willoughby. Mansfield Park and Mr. Crawford. Emma and Mr. Churchill. Pride and Prejudice and Mr. Wickham. They are all scoundrels.
Jacob is a good person and an that alternate universe that I was talking about above--a world without Edward (yes, I know, perish the thought), in that world he could be a good match for Bella. Jacob has his dark moments, but he's not a scoundrel.
Perhaps he would be more like St. John Sinclair in Jane Eyre. An alternate to the hero that is a good person. But in St. John's case, he didn't love Jane. Just wanted her as a wife. Jacob loved her.

So, like in the case with the character of Edward, I think that SM has trascended some of the typical literary sterotypes in the charcter/foil of Jacob.
Team Edward
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i am re-reading being jacob black and i found something that i missed the first time.
it won't let me copy and paste sections here, so i'll have to type it out.

this is when jacob is at prom talking to bella in twilight.

"you see how she looks at edward cullen and you know she's completely out of reach. but you're ok, because you also know that she'll always be your friend. you want her to be happy and this guy clearly makes her happy. you wish there was some way to tactfully apologize to him for your dad"

so, clearly, he's not exactly being jealous or obsessive or anything.

then, after edward hurts bella:

"you start to hate edward cullen. How could he do this to someone so good and kind? what kind of monster is he? you're sorry you ever wanted to apologize to him."

then, after becoming a werewolf, on being afraid to hurt bella.

"you know that they are right, you can't see bella. your promise will go unkept. you're going to hurt her, just like that other monster."

clearly, jacob's number one priority has ALWAYS been to be there for bella and be good to her and be her friend first. clearly his anger and resentment of edward comes from him hurting bella.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
TeamJacob!
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by TeamJacob! »

^^^awwwww....*goes to read Jacob's book again*
switzgal
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by switzgal »

Mara Jade Cullen, I agree with both of your post. Jacob truly is a great character.

Even Alice in Eclipse said to Bella that she felt bad for her because she had to choose between two good people.
LAURENonFIRE
Settled in Forks

Post by LAURENonFIRE »

switzgal wrote:Even Alice in Eclipse said to Bella that she felt bad for her because she had to choose between two good people.

I don't think life would be too bad if I could choose between THOSE two xD Hahaha.
But ah, the "other man" being such a great makes it rough, becuase you're not sure at all who you want her to choose. Lol. I mean, I always liked Bella & Edward, but I wanted so bad for Jake to get his happy ending the entire time. Lol.
Mara Jade Cullen

First: Where is this Jacob book? Do you mean the on in BD? Or a different one?

And I've often joked about the "horrible position" that Katherine Hepburn is in from Philadelphia Story. Geez. She has to choose between Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart (and some random third other guy that she's actually engaged to). What a horrible life that is. *face_sarcastic*
But I have been in a situation where I had to make a decision between two men than I thought were good. I knew that I would hurt one of them deeply and they would be wounds that would be slow to heal and that would leave scars. I don't mean high school theatrics. I mean several years after college. It does rip your soul to shreds trying to choose.
Team Edward