Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
pubesy
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Jacob Black

Post by pubesy »

but, whether edward came back or not, jacob could never fill the hole edward left in bella's heart. bella would always be doing edward/jacob comparisons.
Bella would be settling for jacob, feeling comfortable, rather than falling into a deep and passionate love.
I really don't think that it is fair to jacob, as much as he wanted bella to love him.
and would JACOB always be thinking in the back of his mind "what if edward returns?"

and what happened if edward DID return, say, 2 years, 5 years or 10 years later. what would bella do? would she still be in love with edward, but romantically linked to jacob for comfort's sake?
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

emmett_<3 wrote: Jacob's selfish now? Wow. Okay, seriously. How can you really think that he wants other people to suffer more than himself. Malaz, i've put up with comments that you have made before, but this is beyond one of the stupidest things you've ever said. He cares about others, deeply. Sure, he isn't near as selfless as some, but he isn't selfish either. He wants Bella to be safe, to not be hurt. Edward hurt Bella so bad, he almost gets her killed on a freaking weekly basis (not now, because she is a vamp, but you get the point), so above all, how can you blame Jake for doing the things he did?! He wants to protect Bella just as much as Edward wants to protect her. He hated seeing Bella the way she was when Edward left. They share eachothers pain. So when she openly took him back with the great possibility of Edward leaving again, he thought of it as a betrayal. Of course, he is...was...worried that time would repeat itself and he would have to help Bella again. You obviously don't understand. If the situation were flipped, Edward would be doing the same things as Jake. Yes, not as openly as Jake, but he still would. He would be hating Jake with a passion, trying to find ways to rid of him. THINK ABOUT IT.

Also...i'm one of those people who acts like BD doesn't exist, so sorry about the past refrences.
So what, now you’re keeping a data of my most stupidest and least stupidest posts? How thoughtful of you. >__<
I respect you opinions. Please do the same for me! Is that so hard??
You should also know that I do not blurt random things. I’ve reread breaking dawn and the other books ton of times and I came upon lines that showed that Jacob did want Edward to suffer more than he is suffering (otherwise I would have said nothing) Apparently Jacob gets his pleasure and fun from seeing other people suffer in eclipse. What a boost to his self-esteem.
-“that’s funny,” Jacob said, laughing as he watched Edward’s face.
……
“no way. I haven’t had that much fun in months.” - ECLIPSE

He had 'fun' deliberatly putting another person in pain.

Now here is the line that I was talking about:

-I wanted to kick myself when I realized how much I’d been counting on that loathsome vampire. How stupid-as if you ever trust a leech! Of coarse he would betray me in the end.
I’d counted on him to be on my side. I’d counted on him to suffer more than I suffered. And most of all, I’d counted on him to hate that revolting thing killing Bella more than I hated it.

Now here is the definition of ‘selfish” - dictionary.com
“devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others."

AND i am not saying that makes jacob a bad person. but it's making him a person with a bad quality. It's quite understandable but also very wrong!

I am really sorry but I am not sure I get what you’re talking about in the rest of the post…please clarify more if you can ^__^
____
Sorry guys! i had to reply. i don't want to sway the topic or anything.

oooooh, GUYS!! i have this line in new moon and that's when i began to see that Bella FELL inlove for jake. gimme a sec.

"After all, what Jake and I had was more than any schoolyard romance. Stronger." - i don't know if it's some idiom or something. but it seems to me that she fell for him already.
glstewart

Post by glstewart »

Whoa!! Emmet and Malaz! You both need to take a deep breath! I just logged in and for a sec thought I stumbled onto a Jerry Springer blog :lol: !

Emmet, I take it you're Team Jacob, like myself. I agree with you and all your devotion to Jacob, but let's be kind. :)

Malaz, I see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that "selfishness" is one of Jacob's character flaws in general. He's just a bit wired and intense when it comes to Bella. When he first phased, he was terrified of losing Bella's friendship, and then what she would think of him. I can understand why that would make him a bit weird and hostile. He's only a teenage guy :roll:

In BD, when Edward joined Bella in loving The Baby, Jacob's last straw was pulled. One human being can only take so much...but did he explode and rant and rave about how devastated he was? No. Did he ever publicly expose his "selfish" feelings? No. Taking off with Edward's car was a much needed and deserved time-out. Everybody has those feelings about something or someone at some time in their lives, and Jacob handled his beautifully. Especially when you consider that he's only a teenage guy! 8-)
I Want to Believe
onebreath
Wandering Through Town

Post by onebreath »

glstewart wrote: Malaz, I see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that "selfishness" is one of Jacob's character flaws in general. He's just a bit wired and intense when it comes to Bella. When he first phased, he was terrified of losing Bella's friendship, and then what she would think of him. I can understand why that would make him a bit weird and hostile. He's only a teenage guy :roll:
Well I am Team Edward all the way but I agree with this whole-heartedly. As I said in another thread, I do understand Jacob's actions, resentment and bitterness toward Edward. He was in love with a girl that wasn't in love with him back. And worse, she was in love with a guy who was clearly 'bad' for her in every sense of the word - or so Jacob believed. I just don't think Jacob knew what to do with any of his feelings and it came out in the form of malice toward Edward. And it didn't help that he and his whole ancestry of werewolves had taught him to despise what Edward was from day one. So it was understandable to me that he lashed out. Having said that, I can't say that I condone it. Jacob took every opportunity to make Edward feel even worse than he already did. (I've mentioned a few scenes in another thread where Jacob knowingly antagonizes Edward for seemingly no other reason than to get under his skin). I found it was uncalled for many times despite what he was going through. Now I'm sure it would not have been easy to control but had he been mature enough, I think he could have tried.

But I actually believe by Breaking Dawn, next to Bella, Jacob was one of the characters in the book who developed and matured the most. He made an incredible sacrifice in the midst of his confusion and even tried to understand what Edward was going through as well. (I remember reading several moments in Jacob's book of BD where he commented on Edward's tortured face watching Bella) He tried to accept Edward as a person rather than just the guy out to destroy the girl he loved. And then Renesmee happens and allows him to move on.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

pubesy wrote:but, whether edward came back or not, jacob could never fill the hole edward left in bella's heart. bella would always be doing edward/jacob comparisons.
Bella would be settling for jacob, feeling comfortable, rather than falling into a deep and passionate love.
I really don't think that it is fair to jacob, as much as he wanted bella to love him.
and would JACOB always be thinking in the back of his mind "what if edward returns?"

and what happened if edward DID return, say, 2 years, 5 years or 10 years later. what would bella do? would she still be in love with edward, but romantically linked to jacob for comfort's sake?
i agree. but couldn't you say that with any relationship?? do you really ever "get over" someone you REALLY loved?? doesn't that person always have a bit of you??

i think bella would have missed edward, yes, but i do think she would have moved on and been happy. in new moon, when bella gets scared on the beach, about victoria, and jacob holds her, she says something to the effect of "he held me so closely that the hole wasn't there anymore." this leads me to believe that while she would have moments of sadness, well, we all do, and she could have been fully happy.

although, there's not much point in debating it, since we'll never know.

emmett! be nice!

malaz, i don't understand where you are coming from, and i certainly don't understand that quote as being "selfish". perhaps you could enlighten me?

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
TheWolfGirl
Settled in Forks

Post by TheWolfGirl »

oh no, i am not saying his personality changed. He was always the same jacob throughout the book. He was just a little less bitter, a little less rude. his actions aren't agrivating actions that i would gritt my teeth at. y'know. He wasn't as concerned with bella as much. He was the same jacob i met in new moon (which i really liked) not pained and broken inside which usually leads to being bitter. Anyways yeah, i guess he was that jacob, innocent and young that was in twilight and new moon. And i like him
ok...so i'm quoting this even though its from forever ago.

because i agree completely. in twilight and new moon he wasn't fighting edward. he was just being jake; sweet, loveable, obnoxious, you know. i liked him in eclipse because he was being so intense. he was focusing on one thing and that was saving bella. but even then we caught glimpses of the old jacob. i thought it was cool to see that he wasn't just this happy-go-lucky bouncy ball of fur. (ok! funniest mental picture ever!! :lol: :lol: )
Jacob Black's Not-So-Secret Stalker! =)
emmett_<3
Learning to Love Green

Post by emmett_<3 »

ahahahahah. no comment at all.
"The piercing, heartbroken howling grew fainter and then disappeared entirely." <3

"Could a dead, frozen heart break? It felt like mine would." -MS
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

TheWolfGirl wrote:
oh no, i am not saying his personality changed. He was always the same jacob throughout the book. He was just a little less bitter, a little less rude. his actions aren't agrivating actions that i would gritt my teeth at. y'know. He wasn't as concerned with bella as much. He was the same jacob i met in new moon (which i really liked) not pained and broken inside which usually leads to being bitter. Anyways yeah, i guess he was that jacob, innocent and young that was in twilight and new moon. And i like him
ok...so i'm quoting this even though its from forever ago.

because i agree completely. in twilight and new moon he wasn't fighting edward. he was just being jake; sweet, loveable, obnoxious, you know. i liked him in eclipse because he was being so intense. he was focusing on one thing and that was saving bella. but even then we caught glimpses of the old jacob. i thought it was cool to see that he wasn't just this happy-go-lucky bouncy ball of fur. (ok! funniest mental picture ever!! :lol: :lol: )
i don't like either of them so much when they are fighting each other. i cringe whenever they are in each other's proximity in Eclipse, because they are both so much better than the way they treated each other.
i loved his intensity and his rawness and his emotion in eclipse though, just like i enjoyed edward separately from jake.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Liv-wa
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Liv-wa »

this topic is making my head hurt...so I'm just going to sit back and watch for this one. I just had to say something about the "Happy-go-lucky bouncy ball of fur"

Tres amusant.
Click here to join. We need some more of that pureblood [;Image
glstewart

Post by glstewart »

Ummm... I think the "happy-go-lucky bouncy ball of fur" has a name. He's Seth Clearwater! :D
I Want to Believe