Bella Swan Cullen

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Re: Bella Swan Cullen

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:oh maybe because SM has said so?? that if edward didn't exist jacob would be her natural path??
When did she say that? But Edward does exist and he was her fate. She was his fate. They were always meant to be through fate. There's no ifs oin fate.
Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:oh maybe because SM has said so?? that if edward didn't exist jacob would be her natural path??
When did she say that? But Edward does exist and he was her fate. She was his fate. They were always meant to be through fate. There's no ifs oin fate.
That was in Eclipse, I believe. After the second kiss and before she breaks it off with Jacob.
Basically, in an alternate universe where either there was no Edward or she wasn't fated to be with/meet Edward, Jacob would have been the natural mate for Bella. I'm going through Eclipse again now. If I come across it, I'll tell you in what chapter.

Okay. So I have something that I just don't get about Bella. Perhaps its because I'm not the product of a divorced home. But I never understood Bella's hesitancy to marry Edward. She loves him beyond words, beyond reason. She can't imagine life without him. She's willing to give up her humanity for immortality to be with Edward. Yet she doesn't want marriage.
I understand that her parents' marriage didn't work out. But often people that are more skeptical will just want to live together to make sure that things are going to work out and if they don't they can just leave for a new life. But that's obviously not an option in her mind. Its not like she doesn't want to commit. She has no doubts about loving Edward forever. But she doesn't want the commitment of marriage?
I don't get it. To me the taking on immortality for him would be a MUCH bigger commitment and more permanent than today's standards of marriage. She has no problem with that bigger step, just the smaller.
It just seems like she has a gaping flaw in her logic, to me.
Team Edward
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Edward is part of a supernatural world. Jacob is part of a natural world. Bella is part of both, ergo, she has two soul mates.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

^i thought jacob was a werewolf...?

Mara Jade Cullen - marriage is "embarressing" to Bella and mostly she was scared fo Rene, and Rene brought her up that marriage at young age is not good. And the fact that bella is weird does not escape my eyes. Like you said, she's ready to become a vampire and never see her family again yet she doesn't want to get married to the guy she expects to be with for eternity?? definitely weird.
Also, marriage is almost insignificant to trading mortality for immortality, so getting married is like a feather weighed next to a 100lb rock or something. i personally don't get why she was hesitant to not marry Edward.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

no need to be mocking malaz. yes, he is a werewolf, obviously. :roll: but he also represents bella's natural life, one where she would get married and grow old and have children. also, he is a werewolf due to edward being a vampire. so obviously, if bella was living a natural life, edward wouldn't exist and jacob wouldn't be a wolf. but you knew that.

Jack
Learning to Love Green
Location: 3-1-14-1-4-1.... That's right... tis' Shneaky indeed...

Post by Jack »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Edward is part of a supernatural world. Jacob is part of a natural world. Bella is part of both, ergo, she has two soul mates.
And so the debate continues! :lol: I'm sorry I started it up again. The debate isn't so much about whether or not Jacob was her natural path, it's whether or not there was ever really a natural path. Fate pretty much dictates that everything happens for a reason and that there is no alternate universe because something fully beyond your control set things in motion for you. It's kind of like our lives are a script that was written out a long time ago and we're now just acting it out. To me... there was no alternate path because Edward was always going to exist, and Carlisle was always going to bite him and They were going to move to Forks which would cause the werewolves to come and Bella would move to Forks and meet Edward, her other half. Jacob was always going to feel the pull towards Bella because she is genetically half of Renesmee and Renesmee was always going to be born. He couldn't imprint because he couldn't see Renesmee and Bella was meant for Edward. She wasn't Jacob's other half... but she was relatively close, hence his attraction to her. Perhaps the future Bella saw in Eclipse wasn't her future but a future that Renesmee and Jacob may share... Renesmee is half human after all... and with the children's bloodline its very possible that they'll be immortal as well......
But that's just one way to possibly look at it... I personally find it easier to use the natural path explanation myself. Though if I was Bella I'd tell my daughter that the reason her and Jacob had a thing was because it was fate and Renesmee was still tecnically a part of Bella... makes it a little less awkward that the love of Renesmee's life once loved her mom.
*Jack*
"Hear The Sound, The Angels Come Screaming Down..." - MCR
Bulldozer Trainee in EDC Inc.- Emmett's Demolition Company
Mara Jade Cullen

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that found her logic faulty. Thanks :)

Hmmm...that Bella was seeing Nessie's future with Jacob in Eclipse and not her own. Interesting thought.
Isn't it interesting how Bella also gets these unconscious flashes of future happenings at times. Its never commented upon in the books.
Team Edward
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

this frustrates me so much.

really, if it's not good enough for you that STEPHENIE MEYER, the AUTHOR, says that jacob was bella's natural path, then you just are refusing to see it and being obstinate.

also, it is simply impossible that jacob only felt connected to bella because of renesmee.

Jack
Learning to Love Green
Location: 3-1-14-1-4-1.... That's right... tis' Shneaky indeed...

Post by Jack »

Mara Jade Cullen wrote:I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that found her logic faulty. Thanks :)

Hmmm...that Bella was seeing Nessie's future with Jacob in Eclipse and not her own. Interesting thought.
Isn't it interesting how Bella also gets these unconscious flashes of future happenings at times. Its never commented upon in the books.
Her logic was more then a little faulty but I think it was more fear that she would have to tell her parents about the marriage then fear of the marriage itself. Before that she was just planning on running off and not telling them anything about where she went or what happened to her or her trading of immortality for a soul thing :lol:
Also, I did notice the flashes and sometimes before her transformation I wondered if the weird protection of her mind thing was like part of a larger thing where she'd be able to reach out and share other people's abilities with them. Like Alice's future seeing and Edward's mind reading (considering she was hearing voices when he left.. if only his and it didn't really exist).
*Jack*
"Hear The Sound, The Angels Come Screaming Down..." - MCR
Bulldozer Trainee in EDC Inc.- Emmett's Demolition Company
Ichigo Kitty

Post by Ichigo Kitty »

Mara Jade Cullen wrote:
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:

Okay. So I have something that I just don't get about Bella. Perhaps its because I'm not the product of a divorced home. But I never understood Bella's hesitancy to marry Edward. She loves him beyond words, beyond reason. She can't imagine life without him. She's willing to give up her humanity for immortality to be with Edward. Yet she doesn't want marriage.
I understand that her parents' marriage didn't work out. But often people that are more skeptical will just want to live together to make sure that things are going to work out and if they don't they can just leave for a new life. But that's obviously not an option in her mind. Its not like she doesn't want to commit. She has no doubts about loving Edward forever. But she doesn't want the commitment of marriage?
I don't get it. To me the taking on immortality for him would be a MUCH bigger commitment and more permanent than today's standards of marriage. She has no problem with that bigger step, just the smaller.
It just seems like she has a gaping flaw in her logic, to me.
I think she didn't like the idea of being away from Charlie. She has lived with him for a long time and if she married him, she would end up sometime being a vampire because of the commitment. I think she does long to marry Edward but she has doubts about leaving Charlie all alone. She cooks for him, she sees him everyday... it would be a big change when she is gone and hard on both of them.
Ice and Fire co-existing together without destroying each other...

~ E<3B