General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Twilight books editing errors?

Post by bac »

A place to discuss errors in editing you have found in the books and/or inconsistencies.

This is not a place to vent on dislikes of the books.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
dazzledBrit
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Twilight books editing errors?

Post by dazzledBrit »

Wooohoo, thanks for the thread! :) As stated above, this is for the pedantic among us to point out anything that was missed or might have been missed (e.g. if we're not 100% its an error) in copyreading/editing of Stephanie Meyer's original writing NOT to say which bits you disliked. I'll kick off...

In Twilight:

Chapter 20. Impatience (pg 360 paperback edition)
"Carlisle wanted to lead the tracker as far north as possible, wait for him to get close, and then turn and ambush him. Esme and Rosalie were supposed to head west as long as they could keep the female behind them. If she turned around, they were to head back to Forks and keep an eye on your dad. ...
In this paragraph, Alice is in the hotel room in Phoenix, explaining the plan to Bella. I think Esme and Rosalie should have been supposed to head east, not west. West of Forks there is hardly any distance before they would have hit the Quileute treaty line. East of Forks, there's the continental US.

In Breaking Dawn:

Chapter 29. Defection (pg 515 hardback edition)
I was not as familiar with the treaty line as the rest of them, but I could smell the hint of wolf in the breeze blowing from the east. Edward and Carlisle slowed a little out of habit, and I could see their heads sweep from side to side, waiting for the trail to turn.
As this point, the Cullens are running in a westerly direction, towards the Quileute treaty line, chasing after Alice & Jasper. The wolf smell would be in a breeze coming from the west, not east, as east of their position is Cullen land.
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I never notice mistakes.....
What I see now is that the hardcover has a different text (a bit not totally) than the softcover which is very annoying...

Ok so I have the softcovers at home, an like I said I don't notice these kind of mistakes, but there are quite a few typing errors in it.... I don't know if that's the fault of the editing team or the presses who printed them. but specially in Breaking Dawn there are letter missing or words typed wrong....you read over them but sometimes they are annoying
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
dazzledBrit

Post by dazzledBrit »

In Breaking Dawn:

Chapter 5. Isle Esme (pg 70 hardback edition)
The taxi continued theough the swarming crowds until they thinned somewhat, and we appeared to be nearing the extreme western edge of the city, heading into the ocean.
In this paragraph, Edward and Bella are in a taxi in Rio, heading towards the marina. It should read "extreme eastern edge of the city", not "western".
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

There are a few typos in Eclipse that i noticed at the time, can't get the book at the moment, but it was more than one- not that itsd her fault its the proof readers! x
Last edited by Total Twilight Fan on Thu May 06, 2010 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

While I don't particularily pay attention to continuity issues in the books, I have noticed several places where words are omited completely, or misspelled. As a writer, I'll be the first one to say EDITING is a tedius literal hell. I don't care how many times you go over something, it seems you always miss it.
The biggest error is in Breaking Dawn, and it has to deal with the cover. Stephenie Meyers stated that the cover reflects Belle's journey in BD because she starts out as a Pawn and becomes the Queen. She goes from the weakest player to the strongest.

Unfortunately this is a huge misunderstanding in regards to chess. Any chess player will tell you that there aren't ANY weak pieces on the chess board. While the Pawn does have limited options, in capable hands, it can be deadly. While the Queen has the most options in movement and power on the chess board, in the wrong hands, you still loose. It all comes down to how you play the game.

Chess, while a game, originally was designed to teach war strategy, and while your own the field, everyone counts. While Pawns are often used as sacrifical characters on the short end, the greater purpose is to lure the opponant into making a mistake... aka a trap.

In short, physical power doesn't equal a sure win... it takes skill, wits, and a level head.

ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

I would not call that a "huge misunderstanding" at all. I certainly understand your point, but from a purely at-a-glance standpoint, a pawn is definitely weaker than a queen. After all, a pawn only moves one space at a time (two spaces from the starting position, yes), can only capture diagonally, and are quite vulnerable being up front. Queens on the other hand can move in any straight line, any number of spaces, can capture in any straight line, and are usually heavily protected by other pieces. Not to mention the fact that a pawn, assuming it survives long enough to make it to the other side of the board, can be "promoted" to another piece- and a queen usually gives you the most options.

It is this aspect of the pieces that Stephenie Meyer referred to when describing the cover of BD.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

ringswraith wrote:I would not call that a "huge misunderstanding" at all. I certainly understand your point, but from a purely at-a-glance standpoint, a pawn is definitely weaker than a queen. After all, a pawn only moves one space at a time (two spaces from the starting position, yes), can only capture diagonally, and are quite vulnerable being up front. Queens on the other hand can move in any straight line, any number of spaces, can capture in any straight line, and are usually heavily protected by other pieces. Not to mention the fact that a pawn, assuming it survives long enough to make it to the other side of the board, can be "promoted" to another piece- and a queen usually gives you the most options.

It is this aspect of the pieces that Stephenie Meyer referred to when describing the cover of BD.
Thats what I understood to, that a pawn from a Chess view is weaker than the Queen and it symbolises Bella moving from mortality to something more defensive.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

Breaking Dawn, pg 39
First I cleaned the already tidy rooms, and then when Charlie was up I made him pancakes...He scowled into his cereal bowl and muttered the words "monkey suit" under his breath.

This isn't in the books, but it is in the BD FAQ:

I'll more fully sketch out the internal workings of Billy, Quil Sr., and Samuel Sr. and see whose character supports this backstory best.

Sam's dad's name is Joshua, not Samuel Sr.
TheLionsLamb
Settled in Forks

Post by TheLionsLamb »

For those who have noticed mistakes in the twilight saga books, you must be very observant. I have noticed a few things here and there like miss-spelled words or sentences that didn't make sense. But the typos aren't big enough that they ruin the whole book for me.
;)
TheLionsLamb
Image Image Image