General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
FindYourTrueCalling
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: The Honeymoon

Post by FindYourTrueCalling »

I think most of us wanted more juicy details! ;)
In a way I think it did leave it up to all us readers to try and interpret that part how we wanted :)
As mentioned above by some other fellow lex'er details about after the transformation about how they didnt have to be carefull anymore would have been great :)
E.x
ImageImage
TeamJacob.TeamEdward.TeamJasper.
Because of Twilight,I have unrealistic expectations in men.
Valrhona40
Settled in Forks

Post by Valrhona40 »

Considering how things started between Bella and Edward in the first book, it's lucky that we got to witness a honeymoon at all over the last one. Imagine, Edward told Bella, I think it was during the first night they spent together in Bella's bed, that he didn't think they could ever be intimate the way other lovers were. So I thought this is it, it's going to stay very innocent for the rest of the story. Which was fine by me, I mean, if I wanted to read about torrid love scenes, I would chose another author (or maybe in The Host ? I have not read it yet). Anyway, I found it very...how can I put it? unreasonable from Edward, if he doesn't want to put Bella in danger because he is not sure how well he can control himself, to even kiss her. And if it were only kisses, but no! In the middle of Eclipse, even before Bella convinces him to make love to her while she is still human, he is doing things to her that would make any women beg for mercy. Honestly, with his magic touch, how can Edward think that Bella will not want more, and very soon ? So in book 4 we are, at last, reading the honeymoon scene, wishing for more between Edward and Bella, but knowing that it will be left to our imagination because Breaking Dawn is still PG13. But then again, I empathize with readers who were hungry for more; Stephenie kind of made the intimacy between her protagonists going towards a climax that just could not be told in the context of YA literature.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Steph, could have written a whole book about the honeymoon and it would be boring...
it's a pity she has written it for young adults, if it was a book for adults it would have more details....

I can't wait to see it onscreen actually....
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I have read some books that was so descriptive that it loses your imagination. Since then I have learned to bypass it till the characters start talking again. Reading BD I was happy they finally got a chance to be together but I was hopping for a little tiny bit of detail. I understand that SM was writing a ya book but I sometimes think imagination could be worse.
Last edited by Edwards Ragazza on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banner by TammyAZ
JillOBean
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by JillOBean »

marielle wrote:Steph, could have written a whole book about the honeymoon and it would be boring...
it's a pity she has written it for young adults, if it was a book for adults it would have more details....

I can't wait to see it onscreen actually....
Well, lets be honest... Stephenie was a brand new author and was handed an incredible deal with Twilight... it didnt begin as a YA book... it was intended for women her own age... mid to late twenties and up. But when you're offered your dream, are you going to squabble about whether or not you can write about the male leads bits and pieces? I think not.

I also think that trying to market THIS story to adults ONLY would put a lot of shoppers in a precarious position. Teenage girls are going to WANT this story regardless of what maturity level it is told in and the last thing an author wants is to alienate their largest fan base with too much detail.

And yes, I wanted more detail, too... but honestly, an experienced adult mind with a full imagination can really work wonders in filling in the blanks.

Drunkster
Settled in Forks

Post by Drunkster »

I think the books could have more sex.. But this was Stephanie`s way to write and I respect that :)

Still I hope that movies will be steamy enough!
dazzledBrit
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dazzledBrit »

It's going to have be carefully done to stay within a PG-13 rating. :?
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
r_godsey
Settled in Forks

Post by r_godsey »

I found Stephenie's handling of the honeymoon extremely frustrating! I was basically worked up to a fever pitch with Eclipse, (the new bed scene). I kind of found this exhausting in that this would have basically been a physical action scene, i.e. "Edwards hand was on Bella's..." It would have had so much to do with body placement and their descriptions and it was totally brushed over. Just like the fight with James, the fight with the new borns, and then the would-be fight with the Volturi; all of the action takes place conveniently away from the reader's perspective or NOT at all. I felt the honeymoon, the the culmination of E and B's relationship, fell victim to this as well. Did anyone else notice how exceptionally unobservant and nondescriptive Bella-vampire is compared to Bella-human? To be totally honest, ( and what else have I been till now? ) I just really felt Breaking Dawn was rushed and just kind of cranked out for public consumption.
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

marielle wrote: I can't wait to see it onscreen actually....
Can't wait to see it on screen too although I doubt if its going to be detailed. Most likely it will follow the book, one minute they are in the water then the screen goes black and the next thing you know its morning already... :lol:
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

i think as pretty much everyone else has said, that stephenie did it very tastefully (not sure thats really the word i want to use but anyway lol) yeah it would've been good to have more details, but i kind of feel like that would be quite a departure from the way the rest of the saga is written, and it might seem a little out of place, or as though it had been put in there for some kind of shock factor. i mean you never know they might throw in a few more details when its translated onto screen, because obviously when its on screen you dont have Bella narrating the whole thing before it happens.
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**