General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Volterrian
Wandering Through Town

Re: Struggles and Conflict in Breaking Dawn

Post by Volterrian »

Una, you have a great point and I believe Bella did mention this in passing in BD. Mentioning how must Jacob be feeling knowing that humans are being killed but being killed so they could protect Renesmee. That I would have liked to see from Jacob's POV because the conflict must have been intense.

My favorite conflict was over Why Alice and Jasper had left, because they told noone. Bella spent so much time thinking it was because they knew the cullens were gonna die. This was a good conflict because it made you doubt the characters or at least you could see the self doubt of Bella on why they would leave.

Yes the Jacob and Bella scene was funny, I wanted to see Bella punch him, this time not breaking her hand. I agreed with him though Renesmee is a mouth full.

I was expected more death in the final battle scene with the Volturi. I really expected the Volturi to try something and with the witnesses seeing it and some of them joining in to help bring them down. If SM did write another book, I would like to see it from one of the Volturi members or at least a nomad who has ties with the Volturi, perhaps a former Volturi guard (They mention that some are only members for awhile then leave then come back.)

If I had picked the ending, more of the story would have come out, like Aro's murder of his sister, because that would have been an epic drama with Marcus trying to fight through Chelsie's power to hate and want to kill Aro.. and of course.. the scandal of Aro murdering Marcus's wife, his own sister.

I really didn't get into the pregnancy because as stated above it was from a third party view so it was harder to relate or feel for it.
R.I.P - Jacob Black [Died August 2nd, 2008](Page 360, Book 2, Breaking Dawn)
sorcierdeflipper
Settled in Forks

Post by sorcierdeflipper »

I would also like to see what would happen if Marcus found out about what Aro did.

In my perfect Twilight world, he fights Aro but let's him live, and then breaks away from the Volturi and lives a better more fulfilled life/not life haha

The idea of someone being so sad or indifferent for ALL OF ETERNITY really upsets me, and I like to think that eventually, he will find something that makes his world better or more exciting again.
Image Can you blame me for keeping my eyes open?
mrsdrcullen57
Settled in Forks

Post by mrsdrcullen57 »

About struggles and conflicts...
I absolutely adored every part of Bella's journey after becoming a vampire. But my favorite part out of everything wasn't the parts with the cullen family, Jake, or sweet moments with Edward, it was the part where Bella was trying to save her daughter. I thought it was very interesting to see how she used her vampiric beauty to get what she wanted. It's interesting to read from the POV of the vampire, rather than the human.
I just felt that the whole section of the book where Bella was trying to figure out how to save Renesmee from the Volturi was so intriuging, and so different from the rest of the book(s).
babynessie_18
Wandering Through Town

Post by babynessie_18 »

My BiGGEST disappointment/struggle is Jacob imprinting on Bella's daughter.. I would've like the idea if Seth was the one who imprinted on Nessie, not Jacob! To me, it's really creepy and very uncomfortably weird..
-babynessie_18-
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I think one of the biggest conflicts would have to be the imprinting of Jacon and Renesmee and Bella keeping a secret from Edward. I think that had to hurt Edward some, knowing she was keeping SOMETHINg from him.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

Well, BD is my favorite of the books.

Yes, there were lots of little plot lines/hints dropped that I wanted to read more about... Jacob n Nessie, the full potential of Bella's shield gift, what Alice and Jasper went through, Marcus and Aro and the wife/sister drama, more on Leah and why she is the only female wolf, Jacobs pack, Renee, Charlie and Sue... My list could go on and on. I still allow a tiny part of myself to hope for more resolution but, I know I am probably just setting myself up to be disappointed.
by SwanCullen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:17 am

Bella keeping a secret from Edward. I think that had to hurt Edward some, knowing she was keeping SOMETHINg from him.
I guess its all in how you look at it but, I found the fact that Edward became secure enough in their relationship to trust Bella's judgment in what she would disclose or not -- was beautiful. To me, it represented their evolution into a mature relationship.

One of the Cullen's greatest assets was Edwards gift. It was also one of their greatest liabilities in the hands of Aro. Surely Edward realized that... I know secrets are relationship killers, venom if you will, but I saw it as Edward had (finally) gained enough confidence in Bella to not tell him something that they would want hidden from Aro. He chose not to push the issue, even though it was obvious she wasn't telling him something, because he trusts her. Just my take on it.

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
Cullenfan
Settled in Forks

Post by Cullenfan »

Volterrian wrote:My favorite conflict was over Why Alice and Jasper had left, because they told noone. Bella spent so much time thinking it was because they knew the cullens were gonna die. This was a good conflict because it made you doubt the characters or at least you could see the self doubt of Bella on why they would leave.
Me too. I couldnt belive that Alice and Jasper would desert them, I kept wondering what she had seen!!

Also, Edward suffering through Bellas pregnancy was so hard to read, I'd have loved an Edward Chapter as well as Jacobs. You knew he would just do anything to save her and it was killing him.
I run with the vampires!!!
I'm no Alice - your just predictable
Kiri
Settled in Forks

Post by Kiri »

I did not like how Bella was so involved with her baby that she seemed to distance herself a bit from Edward.
The pregnancy was not the pregnancy I would have liked two people very much in love to experience.

I also did not like that Jacob imprinted on Nessie.
Maybe if Stephenie made another series of the adult Nessie and Jake I could get used to it, but as it was in BD I did not dig it.
I also thought they treated Jacob almost as a pet in some parts.
JanaryRain
Settled in Forks

Post by JanaryRain »

I have to say Breaking Dawn kind of broke my love for the books. I hated it to say the least. It made no sense to me whatsoever, and the ending? Seriously? I get Meyers was trying to make everyone happy, but is that really a good thing? It felt rushed, blah blah blah THE END!
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

StellaBlueBella wrote:
I guess its all in how you look at it but, I found the fact that Edward became secure enough in their relationship to trust Bella's judgment in what she would disclose or not -- was beautiful. To me, it represented their evolution into a mature relationship.
I couldn't agree more. I didn't think there was a lack of trust, as there might have been in Eclipse, when Jacob was an issue. Edward didnt press for details, because he trusted her, and I think he too, had realised, she was keeping things from him to keep them from Aro as well.

I really enjoyed BD. It is my second favourite of the four books, after Twilight. I found it very satisfying and I thought the conclusion was a good one. If a fight had broken out there would have been a lot of loss on both sides. There can't be a "little" fight with the Volturi, not when they come to punish like that. And I couldn't think of anyone I could bear to lose ... apart from Rosalie, anyway!