Cullen Beliefs

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Cullen Beliefs

Post by sarah! »

Lightwish wrote:To answer the OP's questions here is what I think:

Dr. Cullen - Christian
Esme - Christian
Bella - Christian
Edward - Atheist
Alice - Christian
Rosalee - Atheist
Emmet - Atheist
Just wondering why you think Edward, Rosalie, and Emmett were atheists?
Thankss.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
Lightwish
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Lightwish »

sarah! wrote:
Lightwish wrote:To answer the OP's questions here is what I think:
Just wondering why you think Edward, Rosalie, and Emmett were atheists?
Thankss.
Well, I can remember something from the book where Edward was convinced that he was a soulless monster and that nothing waited for him after death.

As for Rosalie and Emmett, that was pure speculation as I remember reading that Bella heard Carlisle thought that there was something waiting for them in the afterlife- yet she did not mention any of the others that shared this view.

===================

BTW that sig of yours is pure gold! Too bad instead of frappachino's they didnt have those filled with blood lol.
I am a faithfull Twi-Guy!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

However I think that the point that Edward believes humans have souls to lose in the first place points to some form of Christianity or any belief where a soul is present. Atheists don't believe they have souls (at least as far as I know).
Rose and Emmett I think would be more agnostic than atheist, though if they didn't believe at all.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Lightwish
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Lightwish »

Perhaps you are right. Maybe he just figures that once you become vampire you lose your soul and become damned.

debussygirl wrote:However I think that the point that Edward believes humans have souls to lose in the first place points to some form of Christianity or any belief where a soul is present. Atheists don't believe they have souls (at least as far as I know).
Rose and Emmett I think would be more agnostic than atheist, though if they didn't believe at all.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Lightwish wrote:Perhaps you are right. Maybe he just figures that once you become vampire you lose your soul and become damned.
That's exactly what he believes. And a big part of why he's so adamant about not changing Bella in the first place.
Lightwish
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Lightwish »

Makes a lot of sense really. I am glad that this series doesnt explore the whole religious thing like Anne Rices novels did...she got way out of hand with the whole devil thingy...
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I think it does in a very more subtle way. Not necessarily the whole devil stuff, but the morals that religions have that's being lost through media and the world. The Cullens I think are like a symbol of staying good and pure, and from that being better people, opposed to those who are still awesome (like Garrett and Zafrina) but make a different lifestyle that makes them less sympathetic.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i agree with porshejackerXD i think alice would go zen!! and i'm all the way with emmettism!! lol :lol:
Betting on Alice.
Hyvanna
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Hyvanna »

To me it felt like Carlisle thinks he has become even more devine he was "givein" tools to better help humanity he strongly rooted in his religin maybe even more so then before he was a vampire. Its also good he doen't PUSH his beliefs on everyone but lets eveyone know what he belives.
Edward cristian or cathlic usta be before the change the whole atoning for sins and after believes nothing's beyound for him, but it doesn't make him a bad person,(well maybe during his reblious time :roll: ), but personality wize he's always been the same.
As for the rest Esme,Emmett,Roselie,Jasper an maybe Alice seems like they would have been more like me only went to church because you was made to by your parants and back in their time would have been bad gossiping if someone didnt go to a church. They are all have good morols (when the veggy part started maybe not so much when they was human blood suckin)
To me you dont HAVE to belive in certain beliefs/religen to be a good morol person, (I dont think if i do this or dont do this am i goin to Heaven or Hadies mine is more what whould "someone"(family, friends) think about me noone wants anyone close them to be hurt by or think bad about you. (If ya go to Hadies for not believing well I guess ill be in the pits of tartous)
In the book getting hurt by cross, holy water is all Myth then why didnt they contiu to go to their churchs after they got good in their veggystate? I know humans subcon..stayed away from them but there is backrows, Was they afraid that would be one Myth that wasn't myth?, walk in an turn to ashes. It seems to me Carlisle would have found himself a church an Esme would have went with him maybe even Alice.
OktoSink
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by OktoSink »

For me, I think its really hard to say for most of the Cullens what their religious beliefs are. I would agree that as humans they were all some form of Christian just because of the time period in which they grew up, but I feel as though only Carlisle and Edward continued that faith into Vampirism. Carlisle simply because of his strong morality and his belief in an afterlife for his family. And Edward because he seems to ponder it often, and in Eclipse when he is refusing to sleep with Bella he brings up protecting her virtue, and then continues to talk about the 10 commandments. I don't know, just a thought.

LOL I'd like to add that Edward might also worship with the little known church of Bellaism... lol